cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mode Dial on EOS 5D Mark III making clicking sounds

Chankra
Apprentice

Hello everybody, I recently bought a used 5d mark 3 and for some reason whenever I change the shooting mode on the dial it makes a loud clicking noise, my friend has the same camera and his doesn't make any noise. The noise is noticeably loud.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The encoder used for mode selection does make a very audible and definite clicking noise with these cameras.  It is noticeably louder and slightly higher pitched than the clicks coming from the shutter speed and aperture controls.

If your friend's camera mode control is totally silent, he has the one with the problem.  These are step type detent encoders with very positive action and they do provide a click as audible feedback.  If his has lost its click, the encoder is probably well worn.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The mode dial should not make clicking sounds.

Did you buy from a reputable vendor or private party?

I'd return it.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Chankra
Apprentice

The third party I bought from is trusted and is the one that sold the before mentioned friend his camera. Is there a way to fix the problem without opening the camera; if there isn't should I open it up and fix it, is it worth the risk of damaging other stuff?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Typically, a mode dial is a complete top assembly replacement.  I would not try to service the camera on your own. 

Try midwestcamera dot com

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The encoder used for mode selection does make a very audible and definite clicking noise with these cameras.  It is noticeably louder and slightly higher pitched than the clicks coming from the shutter speed and aperture controls.

If your friend's camera mode control is totally silent, he has the one with the problem.  These are step type detent encoders with very positive action and they do provide a click as audible feedback.  If his has lost its click, the encoder is probably well worn.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements