cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory cards

marbleman
Apprentice

I have a 32GB PNY SDHC card in my T3i and it works fine. If I put in a Sandisk 32GB SDHC card, the camera will not take videos longer than about 8 seconds. 

Anyone else having trouble with certain brands of cards?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey...that is the answer...thanks.

I'm a new guy here so as I was reading more of the posts, I came across the solution, the same as you mentioned....wonderful.!! I have a class 10 PNY card that works just fine for video and I just looked at the SanDisk card that I also have and yep...it's only a class 4...and it stops the video only after about 8 seconds.

I guess I just didn't pay attention to what class the SanDisk card was when I bought it. I'm glad that I just happened to buy a class 10 PNY card that I have been using for a while because I just looked at my other PNY cards and they are only class 4. Darn it..!! I would have been real upset if I thought my new camera was busted right out of the box....and not knowing that it was just the class of card I had.

Thanks again, cicopo, for your fast response.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

Most likely they are different classes (class 6 vs class 10 etc). This classing relates to how fast data can be wrote to the card. If the camera can't write as fast as it records data it has to stop recording.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Hey...that is the answer...thanks.

I'm a new guy here so as I was reading more of the posts, I came across the solution, the same as you mentioned....wonderful.!! I have a class 10 PNY card that works just fine for video and I just looked at the SanDisk card that I also have and yep...it's only a class 4...and it stops the video only after about 8 seconds.

I guess I just didn't pay attention to what class the SanDisk card was when I bought it. I'm glad that I just happened to buy a class 10 PNY card that I have been using for a while because I just looked at my other PNY cards and they are only class 4. Darn it..!! I would have been real upset if I thought my new camera was busted right out of the box....and not knowing that it was just the class of card I had.

Thanks again, cicopo, for your fast response.

Your welcome & just like you I'm glad it's just something simple. Fortunately good cards aren't that expensive these days.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

About the card classification requirements for video recording...I got the manual out for my T3i and on pg. 29 &30...the "getting started" section which talks about the card......it mentions nothing about card classification and it's importance in shooting video. It isn't until pg.141, the section on movies,  that it mentions needing a card with a classification of 6 or higher. I would have expected that important information such as that would have been mentioned in the beginning. 

Maybe I read that sentence on pg. 141 and didn't understand the importance of it, just glossing over the info as I browsed thru the sections.

Anyway...now I know...I just wished that the importance of card classification as it pertains to video recording had been mentioned in the beginning.

Okay...got it off my chest...I feel much better now..!!

Announcements