cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M50 will not come on

PapaWolf_Gaming
Apprentice

I purchased this camera back in 2020 and have used it sparingly. The camera has been just sitting for a little over a year and half and I had forgot I bought one.  I have recently started a game streaming setup using a linksys pro webcam.  Of course the picture and recordings isnt the greatest and started researching how to make the experience better.  Mirrorless cameras started popping up and a light bulb went off that I had this one.  So I go buy the Camera holder for my desk, new memory cards, new batteries, plus the dummy battery in the eos webcam starter kit, other cords needed, and patiently waited for all needed to arrive.  It all gets here, start to put things together and bam the camera will not come on.  I googled this info and there were some things to try and I tried a good bit.  I went up to Best Buy today where I purchased, as I was riding up there I noticed if I push the battery tray a little it all comes on.  Of course as soon as i release pressure it goes off...I have cleaned the battery terminals, I have tried to blow out the little area where there is a switch you name ive done it.  It just seems like there is not enough pressure when it closes to get the battery to connect to the bottom connection.  Has anyone else gone through this? I bought this in a promotion for 599 should I just go buy a better camera for recording streams , filming youtube and tiktok vids, or should I try to fix?  I have a camera guy that said he can fix but he keeps skirting around the price lol.  Sorry about the novel any help appreciated.. Thanks Ryan

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

When you talk about the battery not working, is that the normal battery or the dummy battery?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you for reply, neither battery will work.  The regular battery I can load and turn on, and nothing happens.  If I push the clip In that holds battery it will come on. As soon as I release shuts off 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Thanks for your response.

In that case, I suggest inserting a tgin layer of soft foal or rubber between the battery door and the battery, allowing a hole to take the dummy battery connection. If tgat works you will rarely have to open the door in any case.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Ok so the top metal piece on the battery door has no connection purposes?  

It should not be an issue.  There are no contacts on the LP-17 battery at the door end, they are all at the other end.  What is at the door is a layer of metal for the sensor to establish that the door is closed.  This should not be impacted by a thin layer of material as long as the size is no bigger than the end profile of the battery, and remember to use a hold punch to create a hole for the power adapter to go through.
I don't have such a battery, but I have an M5, which has the same battery setup, so to test, I added a layer of paper cut to fit the profile of the battery and the camera worked with no issues.  I'm not suggesting gluing the padding layer in, just let the pressure from the door hold it in place - start with a very thin layer and if necessary work your way up - even thin card.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements