cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M50 mark ii does not take pictures with Meike 85 mm lens

Feliciatomson
Apprentice

I just bought a new prime lens, Meike 85 mm 1,8 for my Canon m50 mark ii. It fits well with my EF M adapter but when I start the Camera a message appears: ”Push and hold the lens switch and rotate the lens to enable shooting”. It is the same message that shows as when you are using a zoom lens, but since it is a prime lens i am not able to ”unlock” it, and therefore my Camera will not let me take any pictures. I have changed the setting ”release shutter without lens” to enable, but it still does not work.

Does anyone know what i should do to be able to use the lens?

10 REPLIES 10

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Feliciatomson,

We are limited on the trouble shooting and compatibility information we can offer on non-Canon equipment. We only have information on functionality and compatibility on products manufactured by Canon. Canon does not test non-Canon accessories so we are unable to confirm whether non-Canon devices are fully compatible. For trouble shooting and compatibility information on your Meike lens we would recommend contacting the manufacturer of the device.

In general when a camera isn't communicating with a lens the first thing to check is to make sure the lens is fully secured in the adapter. If it hasn't been turned to the point where it locks onto the mount that would prevent the camera from reading it. 

If that doesn't resolve the issue the next thing to try would be to attach a Canon EF or EF-S lens on the adapter to see if the same thing happens. If this is only happening with the Meike lens that indicates there is an issue with the lens that is causing it not to communicate correctly with the camera. In that case we would recommend contacting Meike. If the same issue is happening with  with a Canon EF or EF-S lens that indicates there is an issue with the mount adapter. In that case we would recommend sending the adapter in for repair.

Canon U.S.A., Inc. has created a new online repair portal that allows you to set up service in a few simple steps. The repair portal gives you the ability to set up service for multiple pieces of equipment at once, and to receive a repair estimate in the majority of cases, depending on your model and issue. The portal also allows you to upload images or videos that will assist us in repairing your product. You can also select how you wish to be notified of the progress of your repair. The portal's service history section allows you to view all services that have been performed on any of your camera or video products since January 7, 2020.

Please follow the link below to access our online repair

https://mycanon.usa.canon.com/signin

Instructions for Accessing and Using the Online Repair Portal

You will need to access or create your My Canon Account.

If you already have a My Canon Account and your product is already registered, simply click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

If you have a My Canon Account and your product is not registered, you must register your product first. Click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu, then click on the “Register Product” link on the right. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

If you do not have a My Canon Account, you will need to create one. After you create your account, click on the “Add Product” link to register your first product. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

Once you have completed the repair request, you will have an opportunity to print a copy of the request for your records. This request form will also contain shipping instructions and an address label that you will attach to the outside of your shipping box when mailing your equipment for repair.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

In order to use a lens that does not communicate with the camera, you have to enable the option to fire the shutter without a lens.  However, you must be in one of the Creative Shooting modes to set this option, AND you must use the camera in one of the Creative Shooting modes.  

If you switch to one of the Basic Shooting modes after enabling that option, it is possible that the setting may change in the automatic shooting modes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Set the camera in M, manual mode, and see if it will work at all. Make sure release without lens is still active. If it doesn't work there, it is probably not going to work. It does not mean you have any problems with your camera just that the Meike 85 mm 1.8 does not like the M adapter. 

A little late now but if you bought the Meike 85 mm 1.8 new, you could have bought a used Canon EF 85mm f1.8 lens that will work fully on your camera for nearly the same money.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hamishferrier
Apprentice

Hi I’m currently having the same issue and I’m just wondering if you found a solution or not

Third party lenses are always a risk with any camera brand.  They may fit physically, but that doesn't mean the lens will work as far as control is concerned.  A good thing to do before considering any third party lens it to search to see if there any known issues on the web, or or a forum for that lens maker.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"A good thing to do before considering any third party lens it to search to see if there any known issues on the web, or or a forum for that lens maker."

Probably not a reliable thing, at least not a comprehensive thing, since reliable sources and the ability of the reviewer is generally not known. I have almost stopped reading other folks reviews and reports since dong my own and seeing how wrong most of them are. Some of the advice on this very forum is at times suspect. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The forum websites for the makers, just like this one, generally give good responses to issues.  Certainly, the frequency with which issues are raised is an indicator. 

The point is that Canon is clear that it is not, and cannot be responsible for the performance or compatibility of 3rd party lenses on their gear.  So, the OP should contact the lens maker if this is specific to the lens. 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Emanuel_H
Apprentice

Hi, sorry to join the topic so late. Do you have the autofocus version of the lens? Did you tried to update the firmware of the lens? Are you using the Canon, Viltrox or Meike adapter? The chinese adapters also can have their firmware updated. Did you managed to make it work in meantime? 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Only the EF-M 15-45 has a lock button.  The 55-200 (example) does not.  Its got to be a communication failure.  

shadowsports_0-1674833627957.png

shadowsports_1-1674834789374.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements