cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M50 Mark ii battery life

Centaury
Apprentice

Hello I bought an M50 Mark ii camera and I noticed that if I take pictures for two days and I do not use my camera for 1 week and a half, the battery will be empty after about 90 photos and two short videos (the battery life would be supposed to allow to take 305 photos).

Is this normal?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
Conventional wisdom and Canon's own recommendations are that you should always remove the batteries from a camera when it is not in use, as they may tend to leak energy over time.

The numbers you read about battery life come with a lot of caveats because there are so many variables.

1.  Shooting video is a very high drain on the battery, so that will have a significant reduction on capacity. 
2. Much depends on how you shoot and display photos.  It takes a fair bit of energy to display on the EVF and LCD displays and if you chimp a lot (i.e. shoot and look), then it can almost halve your rated capacity. 

Have you looked at the manual for the settings on display times, power savings and eco mode?  If not I recommend you do so.

Finally, it is good practice to have at least one spare battery with you - I have a couple of M5's and about 7 LP-E17 batteries.   I might add that 3rd party batteries may not give as good service as the original one, although there are a few reputable makers out there.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

One other thing that might be worth pointing out. Do you have Wi-Fi or Bluetooth enabled?  These can cause the battery to continue to drain when the camera is powered off and sitting between use.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Good point Rick.  I tend to forget that because I don't use either myself.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Centaury
Apprentice

Thank you for your help, I will try your advice.

Announcements