cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M50 Mark 2 . Focus issues

Harped90
Contributor

Hello I'm new to cameras I recently purchased a M50 mark 2. Camera worked great took a few picture everything was clear. Well I went to mess around with it some more today and tried out a different lens a vivitar 49 mm telephoto lens. Since doing that when trying to use the base canon efm 15-45mm lense it will only focus on objects directly in front of the lens. I'm talking within 1 to 2 inches.

I've initially thought I messed up the settings so I did a settings reset. I've reseated the efm several times still no improvement.Tried to clean lens makes no difference. One odd thing is when I put on the vivitar 49mm wide angle lens it goes back to normal.

I'm hoping I'm making some simple rookie mistake any help would be appreciated. Two pics included one with the efm 15-45 mm and the other is the efm 15-45mm + the vivitar 49 mm wide angle lens

PXL_20220708_230138484.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It almost sounds like there might be multiple “lens filters” in use at the same time.  If you use a UV filter on the lens, then remove that one, too.  It might not be the UV filter.  

Make sure all filters are removed from the lens, and test it again.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Harped90
Contributor

PXL_20220708_230041896.jpg

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi, sorry to learn you are having issues.

It might be worth checking to see that the camera has not been set to manual focus mode by the Vivitar lens.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I checked that it's not the case. Thanks

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Does the lens retract/extend when you turn the camera on or off?

The lens does have a switch to extend to use, and if it is not extended, the display is blocked by a message that it must be extended to use and it won't focus at all, so I discounted that.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

If you mean automatically no. Manually yes

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

"one with the efm 15-45 mm and the other is the efm 15-45mm + the vivitar 49 mm wide angle lens"

Are you talking about a wide angle Vivitar "filter" that you screw on the end of your EF-M 15-45 lens?

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Yes exactly . It works with the wide angle filter excuse me for using the wrong language 

We had this same issue with another recent thread, can anyone remember what the result of that was?

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements