cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M50 MKii shutter curtain not in sync with normal daylight shooting

UCPhotography
Apprentice

So today my M50 shutter curtain failed on me while shooting a photo burst. Out of nowhere i saw a black particle fly across the viewfinder  and the photos started having a white trapezoid thing on the bottom left (in photo) and after a few photos the shutter locked up and Error 30 showed. I turned the camera off annd back on and tried again, first photo locked up. I went home to look more at the camera, it works fine now except the curtain is off sync with the shutter speed. Around 1/60 it seems to be normal but increasing the shutter speed starts to become distorted and that white trapezoid shows. I've went over 100,000 shutter actuations so I know this could just be because of that but i figured to see what part failed on the curtain. If anyone could help it would mean a lot 

-Union County Photography

IMG_4003.jpeg

3 REPLIES 3

normadel
Authority
Authority

It looks like an aperture diaphragm blade is semi-attached or floating around loose inside the lens. The camera needs servicing.

The lenses are fine, the white trapezoid thing is on the shutter curtain itself. With a few tapping the camera into my hand it fixed the shutter locking up but the trapezoid still shows. Maybe a piece of the certain broke off?

@UCPhotography wrote:

The lenses are fine, the white trapezoid thing is on the shutter curtain itself. With a few tapping the camera into my hand it fixed the shutter locking up but the trapezoid still shows. Maybe a piece of the certain broke off?

Sounds like it. Especially since you said you saw a black part in the viewfinder just before the issue appeared.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements