cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M50 M2 Firmware won't update

davewald
Apprentice

I have a 2 1/2 year old M50m2 (according to the EOS utility), with the stock lens. It started having problems with occasionally locking up, so I decided to update the firmware. I am currently on 1.0.1, which I see from the Canon web site is pretty outdated. I have tried several ways to update the firmware, including using different memory cards (256gb and 16gb, both Extreme), and different versions of the firmware, but get the error message that the files are not found and to remove the battery and try again. I follow the directions exactly, and the files are in the root directory of the cards, along with the DCIM and MISC folders, and the cards have been low level formatted on the camera. I tried deleting the empty DCIM and MISC folders, but that didn't work, either.

I tried using the EOS utility to update, and I get an error message saying that the files are not appropriate for my camera for all versions that I downloaded (1.0.2, 1.0.3 and 1.1.0).

I've done extensive searches but cannot find anyone who has posted a definitive fix. Anyone here know how to get over this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you sure that you are downloading the firmware for the proper camera? When I went to the Canon download site, I saw version 1.0.3 as the latest firmware, not 1.1.0. I think that you downloaded firmware for the EOS M50, not EOS M50 MkII.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-m50-mark-ii

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you unzipped the downloaded firmware file and copied only the .fir file to the root directory of your memory card? That is the file that contains the new firmware and must be in the root directory of the card.

Yes, the instructions say to copy both the .dat and .fir files to the root of the card, which I do after unzipping. The EOSutility only looks for the .fir file, but says it’s not appropriate for the camera. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you sure that you are downloading the firmware for the proper camera? When I went to the Canon download site, I saw version 1.0.3 as the latest firmware, not 1.1.0. I think that you downloaded firmware for the EOS M50, not EOS M50 MkII.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-m50-mark-ii

Doh! That's it. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome.

Canon has stopped carrying firmware and all updates for m50. Kiss M2 is only option when searching for m50

image.jpg

Announcements