cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing settings on power off except in Auto

FGT
Contributor

Hello

I recently upgraded from a T3i to the T7i.

I want the Program exposure setting to remain at a couple of ticks darker all the time.  It resets when I power off the camera while in Program mode, the T3i did not do this.  Is this a setting somewhere, I can't find it?  Oddly if I change to Auto and power off it keeps the setting for Program.

Thank you

17 REPLIES 17

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

There might be an easier way, but I use one of my custom presets for this.  I find this to be useful when I'm going between indoor / outdoor or shooting subjects with bright back lighting.     

Also see page 196~197 of your manaual which providessome additional options.

T7I manual

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rebels do not have custom presets.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Rebels do not have custom presets.

Thats horrible  LoL...  but now that you mention it..  I do remember that my T6s didn't have these on the selector dial...  thanks kvbarkley.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@FGT wrote:

Hello

I recently upgraded from a T3i to the T7i.

I want the Program exposure setting to remain at a couple of ticks darker all the time.  It resets when I power off the camera while in Program mode, the T3i did not do this.  Is this a setting somewhere, I can't find it?  Oddly if I change to Auto and power off it keeps the setting for Program.

Thank you

Of course, it "resets" to new settings after you turn it on.  Program mode is a type of automatic mode, one with predictable behavior.  It automatically measures the current exposure, and adjusts the settings to match based upon a published curve.

If you want the camera to retain the exposure settings after a power off / power on cycle, then use Manual mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Nah, because if I adjust Program mode down a couple of ticks I can change locations and lighting and it doesn't remove that "setting" it keeps it where I had it.  Only if I power off does it normalize.  Plus T3i didn't reset.  Why would they eliminate this capability when there are no custom modes in Rebel, it was kind of a cheat for a custom.  At least they could have made it in the settings to keep or reset settings on exit.  Maybe I should have gotten a Sony.

Now is the time to buy Sony. They have dropped their prices because of the competition from the R's.

My T6S remembers the exposure compensation after a power cycle. Have you tried using the Lock switch to see if that makes a difference?

Sorry "lock switch"? I don't see that anywhere.  I tested a T7 and keeps the settings.  Is this a bug with T7i maybe?  

Sorry, normally I look at the manuals, but can't since Canon USA is down. On my T6S there is a switch on the lower right called "Lock" It allows you to lock the controls so you don't inadvertently change them.

Announcements