cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for recommended solutions for Hot Shoe loosening on EOS R and later models?

RayyansLens
Apprentice

Hey Canoneers,

I recently had my hot shoe fall off on my EOS R and was disheartened to find out that with all of the models later than the EOS R you cannot reattach or tighten a loosening hot shoe externally, it can only be done by disassembling the camera and tightening from the inside. This was obviously an awful design change that I would hope is simply an oversight on Canon's part and not to try and get more repairs sent in.

My EOS R is currently being sent over to Canon to get repaired.  My concern is that I always use an on camera flash (Godox V1c) or trigger on my cameras, while using the holdfast system, and I am sure that eventually the hot shoe is going to come loose again.  I would really hate for this to start happening to my R5 and would like to do what I can do prevent it from occurring through some method to reinforce the mounting point.  I don't want to have to be concerned with being overly cautious in the field when my head needs to be constantly in the game to do wedding photography.

My question is, for others who have experienced this issue, is there any way you have found to try and curb the issue?  Is there a way either through a bracket or some other method to reinforce the mounting point on the EOS R's or later models?  Or something that can distribute the weight being applied to the small hot shoe over a larger area of the camera?  

Another question is if I notice my hot shoe becoming loose, if I apply Loctite externally to try and get some coverage down the threads of the screws, would Canon frown on that?  I don't currently have a warranty on my cameras, but am considering joining the CPS program as a Gold member and shortly Platinum once I acquire a couple more pieces.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I really wish we could just tighten the screws externally like the cameras used to allow Pre-EOS R models...

6 REPLIES 6

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi RayyansLens,

Through Canon support we would not recommend adding loctite on the hot shoe. Modifications to the camera typically are not covered by the manufacturer's warranty and it it gets further into the camera it could cause internal damage. If a hot shoe becomes loose we would recommend sending the camera in to the factory service center for repair as you did in this case.

To help reduce damage to the hot shoe we would recommend making sure the flash in is firmly attached to reduce movement as you use the camera. When you are transporting the camera or storing it we would recommend taking the flash out of the hot shoe. That will help reduce stress on the hot shoe.

We appreciate feedback on updates and changes customers would like us to make to our products. We have a team that documents and handles customer feedback. I have already alerted them to this email, but if you want to contact them directly in the future they can be reached by going to our website HERE and selecting Feedback in the top left corner of the site. We do take customer suggestions and feedback into consideration when we are updating our products and processes.

Ibn
Apprentice

Same thing happened to me on the job. I always keep a set of small screwdriver in my bag to fix problems like this. And i was very disappointed to find that it could not be fixed on the fly not cool Canon Lucky I had a backup camera.  Why was this changed made??

dbjsblack
Apprentice

I'm noticing my R5 hot shoe is coming loose as well. I have the EL-1 Speedlite which is Excellent light although it is a big light. My first thought was the size and weight of the speedlite that was causing issues but now I see it's just a common problem with R5/R6 models.  😞 If this is becoming a common issue with R5/R6 users I would hope this would be a addressed and fixed for free regardless if the camera is out of warranty.  Need to send mines in for repairs since I have a wedding coming up soon and don't want to experience any problems with the hotshoe. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

To date, the repair is not free.  You are wise to send the camera to Canon for repair.  I've seen a fair number of posts from others who tried to do this repair on their own.   Then, the aftermath and regret.  Didn't go back together the same, have left over screws, now my "x" no longer works, etc. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

nfocus
Apprentice

Well seems that the R design has a flaw, and Canon being the company that they are, should step up to the plate and repair these hotshoes FREE at NO CHARGE. I have an R6 and have this loose hotshoe issue.  Manufactures all over the world have "recalls" and they take care of their customers who use their products. Canon, you need to take care of your customers since it is a KNOWN issue with the design. PLEASE help your customers. It's just good business practice. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

It took years, but the 70D finally got its mainboard PCB replacement reprieve.  This ended Dec of last year.  

Not sure if this "issue" will ever be classified as a service advisory or defect.  In any event, sending to Canon is the best (and safest) option.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements