cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Replacement

ArnabMaity
Apprentice
My Canon EF-S 18-55mm kit lens has some autofocus issues and it's out of warranty. Can I replace it with a new one adding the necessary amount of money to it?
11 REPLIES 11

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

I would just buy a used EF-S 18-55 STM for about $100-150.

Mike Sowsun

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Or upgrade to something like the 18-135, an excelllent walking around lens - though bigger and heavier than that 18-55.

If you send it in for repair Canon *might* get you good deal on a refurbished lens in lieu of repairing your lens. They did that for me with my first Rebel body.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Or upgrade to something like the 18-135, an excelllent walking around lens - though bigger and heavier than that 18-55.

Funny you should mention that. I just ordered the 18-135mm STM lens (used, with a 10 rating) from B&H for $289. It should arrive Friday. I will be using it as my walking-around lens, and look forward to desert, wildlife (not birds) and mountain work with it. I finally gave up on the Canon refurbished store (my preferred choice), due to the persistent "Out of Stock" situation on this lens and many others. Can't wait to get out in the field with it. 

ArnabMaity
Apprentice
Thank you. I just wanted to know is there any kind of replacement policy that might help me get rid of the lens and also to save a few money. Also what would be the best possible option for architecture and landscape under $200?

"...what would be the best possible option for architecture and landscape under $200?"

That is going to be tough.  The two words "best" and "$200 bucks" don't play well together.

Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens (White Box) is $249 and is a pretty decent all around lens.   If most of your shots are indoors the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Refurbished would be great.  It is $240. 

Both of them would be sweet ! Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You can use ANY Canon EOS "EF" series or "EF-S" series lens with your camera (basically you cannot use the "EF-M" lenses... those are for mirrorless cameras only).  So yes... you can replace it with the newer version of the lens (which is much better anyway.)

Check the "refurbished" section on Canon's store website:

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses

They come with the same warranty as new lenses.  As they are refurbished, these things randomly come in and out of stock depending on what gets sent back to Canon to be refurbished.  

The lenses that have "STM" focus motors (Stepper Motors ... but you'll see the letters "STM" in the lens model name) are almost completely silent when the focus motors are working and they're faster than the focus motors you had in your lens.  

The lenses with "USM" focus motors (Ultra-Sonic Motors) are usually (but not always) even faster still w.r.t. focus motor speed.

The STM versions only cost very slightly more (about $50) but the USM versions usually cost a bit more still.  But they are also usually better quality lenses w.r.t. build quality and performance.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

Check the "refurbished" section on Canon's store website:

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses

They come with the same warranty as new lenses.  As they are refurbished, these things randomly come in and out of stock depending on what gets sent back to Canon to be refurbished.   

Tim, I have been finding the refurbished lens section to be chronically out of stock on many, if not most. lenses. And I have been checking daily for many weeks. I finally grew weary of waiting and made my purchase of the Canon 18-135mm STM lens at B&H, which also has a Used section with ratings. 

Perhaps the refurbished section is getting to be just a bit TOO popular.  We should probably stop telling people about it.  😉

There were one or two lenses that I used to look for and they were usually out of stock.  I recall one lens (and I don’t remember which one it was) where the Canon Rumors website actually posted that it was “in” stock (it was hard to catch it in stock).

I do prefer “refurbished” over “used” because “refurbished” are backed by Canon’s warranty (and generallly in such condition that you can’t tell it from new.)

The more highly sought the lens is... the less likely it will be in stock.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements