cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just purchased 7D mark ii

Actionman0z
Apprentice

Hey everyone! New to the fourm. Looking for some general help

I just bought a Canon 7D mark ii, the reason I bought this camera over others is because of the rugged/durability. I know its good enough to do everything I want it to do, but I want to make sure I pair it with the right equipment.

I want to do nature/landscape photos mainly, with some sports action photos mixed in. I bought a package off amazon, that came with 3 "kit lenses" so I want to know what I need to do to get some upgraded stuff when the time comes. 

I've done 4 days of research, and everything is spread across the board. 

The lenses it came with were: 50 mm, the 18-55, and the 75-300.

Im looking to be snobby and upgrade to some L series, and I would like a 3 piece set to round out what I am doing. I was thinking the 17-40, the 24-105, and the 70-200, what say you? Thanks! 

16 REPLIES 16

coachboz68
Enthusiast

My first pro-level camera was the original 7D.  I got it just a few months after it was released and I absolutely loved it.  It was a beast!  My daughter now uses it with no issues.  Like you, I did a lot of different kinds of shooting with it.  The two lenses I invested in were:
1) EF 24-70 2.8L 

2) EF 70-200 2.8L 

Those two lenses were amazing for everything I needed as I was (and still am) NOT a professional photographer (i.e. I don't take any income from it).  With the 7D crop sensor, the 70-200 gave me plenty of reach for sports, and the 24-70 was my "walkaround" lens for family events.  

Your primary shooting environment (landscape) was what I did (and do) least, so others have given you way better advince on that one.  

I'm just sharing to give you my opinion that upgrading the lens has always been a great decision for me.  I now own a 1DX II as I do much more sports shooting these days for a variety of folks and events, so I upgraded my 70-200 to the mark ii and gave my daughter the original.  But I still use my trusty original 24-70, which must be approaching somewhere around 15 years old now.  

DigiBill
Contributor

We all took the time to read this posting and offer suggestions & ideas.. Not a word from Actionman0z  the person that started the posting.

@DigiBill wrote:

We all took the time to read this posting and offer suggestions & ideas.. Not a word from Actionman0z  the person that started the posting.

You don't post answers on forums very much, do you? 8^)

Sorry! Thank you so much for the suggestions so far. 

I feel kind of silly for getting this set up after reading this discussion. I feel like I really wanted the solid build of the 7D mark ii, but I want a FF sensor. I did not want to pay the money as a newer photographer for a FF camera, but I also only want to use L glass for the weatherproofing and build quality... Thank you so much for the responses. Sorry, I have been watching the thread, and didn't respond. 

Stop worrting about whether you have a FF camera and L glass.  Just start shooting and you will begin to realize you have some great equipment.  Shoot, shoot shoot.

" I did not want to pay the money as a newer photographer for a FF camera ..."

You have a full frame camera!  Don't you get exactly what you see in the view finder frame?   That's all any camera can do. Most of the hype bantered around about the virtues of a 35mm sensor size is just that, hype. A 7D Mk II in a good photograper's hands is better than a FF in the average John Doe's hands. Learn your camera and move on! A couple 7D's made me a lot of money, too, too bad they weren't FF. However, no one ever said to me, "if you had shot this picture on a FF camera and I would have bought it."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"...but I want a FF sensor."

If the virtues of a 35mm size sensor is so much better, why stop there?  Look at all the choices in medium format. They have to be so very much better, I don't see why anybody buys a 35mm sensor camera anymore.  Wait a minute there is also large format..................................Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements