cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just bought a T6i, with wireless and NFC, but the 2 Canon apps say it's not compatible?!

Fotoace
Apprentice
T6i
41 REPLIES 41

Basically you are right, but camera handling with pc and stop tranferring when it notice pc.

@Kaldun wrote:

This is ridiculous... Nowhere did it read that this functionality wouldn't exist! I vaguely undersand this, if it would be clear, that to get this functionality I would need to buy a 70D. But 750D did fit my needs better and I couldn't have even imagined that canon would do something like just disabling a function! How does it help anyone?! And the whole marketing aspect behind "WiFi"... And if this is a matter of money...can we even pay to activate this function? Why not?

Sick strategy...whoever came up with this is sick.

Actually, there is a diagram of the capabilities.

Wireless_NFC.PNG

The problem is that most people read "Wi-Fi", and think "networkable", which is not neccesarily the case.  The camera behaves more like a wireless bluetooth device than than anything else.  Notice the bidirectional arrows with the "smart device' in the illustration.  Your camera should be able to directly connect with many tablets, just not laptops and PCs.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Actually, there is a diagram of the capabilities.

Wireless_NFC.PNG

The problem is that most people read "Wi-Fi", and think "networkable", which is not neccesarily the case.  The camera behaves more like a wireless bluetooth device than than anything else.  Notice the bidirectional arrows with the "smart device' in the illustration.  Your camera should be able to directly connect with many tablets, just not laptops and PCs.

And there was another diagram back when I bought my T6i.  I took a screenshot.

canonwifi.jpg

I emailed their support at the time, and their solution was to edit the website.  Fat load of good that does those of us who expected it to do what was advertised.

This is a case of straight up crippleware.  The connectivity is not an issue.  You can view scaled/mangled images from your pc via dlna etc, and this works via your existing home access point, no need to switch SSID's or anything.  (The necessary connectivity is there from a wifi/networking standpoint)

To make things even worse,  If you do want to use the wifi to send instagrams of your lunch to your facebooks, the USB is disabled, so you need to navigate the menus just to turn the wifi back off if you later want to plug it in to move photos to your pc.  This is just ridiculous.  There may be some technical reason that the wifi and usb can't be enabled simultaneously (shared resources, etc.), but that wouldn't be a big deal if you could wifi to transfer photos.  As it is, there's no point in even using the wifi, as it's such a lot of fiddling to turn it off and on constantly.

Keep in mind that everyone's usage of the camera is not the same.  Some people go out and take a pile of photos in one shoot and transfer them in bulk.  For those people, using a cable or card reader makes way more sense.

I frequently take detailed photos of projects, blog-style, where I'm often transferring a couple pictures at a time.  My old eyefi card that I had in my G12 was excellent in that regard.  I would just snap a picture of what I was working on and walk somewhere near my pc (and wifi AP), and the photo would appear on my pc, where I could immediately work with it.  No fiddling in menus, camera apps, or cables, etc.

This camera is entirely capable of that, but it's intentionally left out of the rebel models.

superb rundown and the closest solution we can get to! Thanks!

Kaldun
Apprentice
The camera has an ability to upload stuff to cloud services as for example Google. You could upload your pictures there and then download then from cloud again to your pc.

By the way, taking out your sd card and plugging it into your pc (via an sd card reader) is much faster and more convenient than cable.

Or you could buy this canon camera connect (IIRC the name) station, I think it provides the desired functionality.

If you're into hacking things, then easiest shortcut would be to use an Android pc emulator and install canon camera connect there. The camera should work with it as if it were a phone. Although this can be tricky to set up since you would need direct Wi-Fi access between the two devices. Not sure how to connect via a router.

@Kaldun wrote:
Or you could buy this canon camera connect (IIRC the name) station, I think it provides the desired functionality..

That right there is why they've so stupidly turned off a useful feature. "Don't let the camera connect to a computer but let it connect to other wifi devices 10x more complex to communicate with, then we can charge them $300 for a trinket to finish the task the camera was capable of doing on it's own" *brb 1starring Canon connect on every retail site*. I just bought the T6i and am strongly considerig returning it for a different model. My point&shoot with 4gb eyefi card had better sync capabilities than this brick.

Hi all, 

So glad that I am not alone in thinking that Canons deliberate disabling of the ability to connect this camera to a PC is unnecessary.  I was bought on the fact that in its advertising it clearly shows the Wi-Fi Certified logo, this to me and indeed the company that issues that certificate means that it should communicate fully with any other certified equipment, including PC`s and Mac`s.

I have opened a complaint with Canon, as well as notified my local consumer rights organisations and the Wi-Fi certified company.  

So far, I have been told to "read the manual before I make a purchase", "get a refund", "buy the adapter".  It has only been my persistence that they have escalated my complaint to head office and I will not quit until I get a reasonable outome.

I want Canon to either stop using the Wi-Fi certified logo, change their advertising to reflect that connections to certain equipment is limited, or and more desirably, release a firmware patch to allow a pc connection.  

What really worried me was when I downloaded the software for this model, it will install 3 versions on EOS Utility on my PC, one version is for Wi-Fi connections only!  One of the others dosen`t work at all and the other will work with a USB cable.  It is only the Wi-Fi version that a shortcut to the desktop is created, adding more weight to my assumption that this will connect to my PC.

I have managed to connect it my PC and Router, but there is still no way to get them talking.  I may try an android emulator next. 

I am in the UK, and cant find (yet) a mention of this issue on the UK forum, but if I may, I will update you on any progress here for now.

Ah, well played, sir.  I hadn't even thought leveraging the (false) WiFi certification angle!  This should create some headaches for Canon.  As you said, they'll either be forced to enable full WiFi support in their firmware, or remove the WiFi Certification claim, which could open up them up to lawsuits for false advertising by previous purchasers.  

It is mearly a matter of principle for me now, but I am a man of my principles and if nobody ever stands up for what they feel is right then they will continue to walk all over you.  (or kill you, hehe) 

I cant really return it as the models that do allow a pc connection are prohibitavly expensive for me at this time and if I go with another platform (very very tempting) none of my lenses will fit.

A quote from The Wi-Fi Alliance website if anyone is unfamilier with them. 

"Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ is an internationally-recognized seal of approval for products indicating that they have met industry-agreed standards for interoperability, security, and a range of application specific protocols."

interoperability
ˌɪntərˌɒp(ə)rəˈbɪlɪti/
noun
noun: interoperability
  1. the ability of computer systems or software to exchange and make use of information.

Fingers crossed 😄

John64
Contributor
Canon are misleading a lot of people with the WiFi logo. If I had known otherwise, I would have went with Nikon. Canon didn't seem to be moving the ball forward for the most advanced features for their customers.
Announcements