cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with IBIS on Canon R6 mark 2

esawaya
Apprentice

Hello,

I own an R6 mark 2 shich I bought specifically instead of the R8 to take advantage of the IBIS.

I am very happy with the camera. I have however noticed that the IBIS is only really effective when using it with the electronic shutter, where I can drop to really low shutter speeds with ease. However, for someone like me who favors the mechanical shutter for best image output, the results I see there for the IBIS are truly disappointing. Here are my observations:

• When using the mechanical shutter at speeds like 1/250 or 1/320: Images come out clean with rarely any signs of shake.
  • When dropping to 1/200, there is a big drop in the hit rate to where almost all images at 1/200 or slower have some microshake. The image as a whole will look fine, but pixel peeping will reveal some fuzziness in the image that is consistent even when taking 20+ shots. First I thought the images were ever so slightly out of focus, then I started to notice that the shutter speed was the culprit. I understand that the mechanical shutter naturally causes more shake than the electronic one, but the problem persists even when I am trying very hard not to cause motion blur, and I have steady hands. Also, this was never an issue on my old 6d mark 2, where the lenses render smoothly even without stabilisation. 

I ended up disabling IBIS completely except for when shooting video or shooting stills with the electronic shutter. I just find it strange that the general feedback on social media is so positive for IBIS when the current implementation is clearly flawed. I wish this would be addressed via firmware.

Oh and I own mostly Tamron lenses such as the 15-30mm F2.8 G2, the 35mm F1.4 et... as well as the RF 28mm F2.8 and 16mm F2.8.

Eddy.

6 REPLIES 6

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

There could be an incompatibility with your third party lenses with your camera. Resulting in undesirable effects.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

March411
Enthusiast

Eddy I own the R6M2 and run several different Sigma lenses on my body without challenges. I don't use any Tamron so it may be worth contacting Canon to check on compatibility.

You didn't mention it, what EF to R adapter are you using?

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many EF lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for image processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“  I don't use any Tamron so it may be worth contacting Canon to check on compatibility. “

No need to contact Canon regarding third party lenses. It’s not their obligation to support third party gear of any kind. Are they supposed to test their camera with every third party lens that other people design and build?

As far as IBIS goes, you could running up against camera shake from using the mechanical shutter.  Also, there is going to be delay between the signal to fire the mechanical shutter and the signal capture the image on the sensor.  Any significant delay cannot be good for IBIS. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

March411
Enthusiast

Eddy,

I reached out for Canon support and they were very helpful. The gentlemen I spoke to stated the first thing he would do is check to see if there was a firmware update for your lenses. He believes that it may be a conflict with any of the lenses you own that have image stabilization. He also recommended that you do not turn off the lens stabilization as it would most likely cause you to have zero stabilization. Canon is continuing to add the older Canon EF lenses into firmware updates and then will start with 3rd party EF lenses.

I didn't know much about the lenses you own so I could only take the conversation so far. If you want additional information call 800-385-2155. But it sounds like starting with a firmware update to ensure compatibility would be a good first move, he also suggested reaching out to Tamron.

Hope this helps!

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many EF lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for image processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

esawaya, I generally use Electronic 1st-curtain shutter on my R's and IBIS works flawlessly with all of my lenses, even the RF 50mm f/1.2 USM with no lens IS. I take a lot of shots at 1/15th, 1/30th, and so on, hand held with the R6 mark II because it handles low light so well. I also have a medical condition that makes me shake (Benign Tremors) and the IBIS absolutely works at these slow shutter speeds or I would never be able to get a sharp image.

This leads me to believe that your R62 either needs repaired or your 3rd party lenses need a firmware update to be fully compatible, although I don't know how this would effect IBIS. I would contact support from the manufacturer of the lenses that you use to see if firmware updates are available. The RF system has extra contacts that the Tamron's don't, so there might be a conflict with the lenses and they may be disabling IBIS, but that is just a WAG 🙂

All I know for sure is IBIS in the R6 mark II works wonders for me using native RF glass with very slow shutter speeds.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

esawaya
Apprentice

Hello,

Thank you all for your replies! I am actually in the process of updating my tamron's firmware through their lens dock. Will let you guys know whether this helps or not. I am using Canon's own native EF to RF adapter by the way. However, I should mention that the issue is most pronounced when using the native RF 28 mm F2.8 lens. It just seems that when using the mechanical shutter, I need to stay at 1/250 or faster to achieve critical sharpness.

Announcements