cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is R50 worth the plunge?

b1azza
Apprentice

I am currently using a 6D + 40mm f2.8 STM. Mainly used for capturing family events and occasional street photog. I don’t adjust my setting much, typically just the aperture and EV.

As I age, I find myself less willing to bend down to see through the viewfinder - the 6D’s choice of auto focus point isn’t very confidence inspiring either. So many times I am just squeezing burst shots without even framing, if I had to go low angle.

Will a R50 + RF28mm f2.8 STM serve me better? I am thinking of the articulating LCD as well as supposedly great eye-AF. This combo is quite light and rather affordable, so it quite suits my lifestyle and financial means. 28mm with 1.6 crop factor gives a 45mm FF equivalent, and it’s something I can accept too.

My worry is that I will miss the FF experience from 6D - low light sensor and nice (but not overly distracting) bokeh from a f2.8 prime. I read that the APSC sensors now are quite on par with FF sensors 10 yrs back, hence am really considering R50.

Your views appreciated. 🙂

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The Canon RF lineup is a curious one.  The naming convention does not seem to follow delineate a given model into a clearly defined category of camera: entry level, beginner, intermediate, and advanced.  For DSLRs, the model numbers those four categories were as follows: xxxxD, xxxD, xxD, and xD.  All the full-frame models were in advanced category.

The model numbers in the RF lineup do not follow such clearly defined categories.  But, I can say this about them.  The feature set of the R50 seems to fall into the beginner category, similar to a DSLR with an xxxD model number, or advanced Rebel in the US with a model name sending with the letter “i”, like T8i.  The R50 camera body has a back panel similar to Rebel DSLRs.  This screenshot is from the B&H Photo Video web site.

01C7D58F-6657-4602-A531-29AB15580465.jpeg

I think you might be disappointed with the feature set in an R50.  The R10 could be a better choice for an APS-C entry level camera.  Although the R10 also has a “Rebel” back panel.  Curiously, so does the R8.

Mainly because of the rear panel layout, I would recommend the R6 or even the R6 mark II.  The R6 series also use the same E6 series of batteries as the 6D, although it is recommended that you only use the latest generation of the E6 battery.

As far as low light performance goes, the R10 and R50 may seem to approach the performance to the 6D on paper.  But, the metering range suggests otherwise to me.  At the time of its release, the 6D was a “low light king” of the hill, and it still is.  

So, you might even be happier with the aging 6D Mark II compared to the R50 or even the R10.  The 6D2 has an articulating screen, but is also allows for remote shooting using Bluetooth.  I use my Wi-Fi only iPad with it and love it.  Big screen and no dropped connections because the iPad does not have phone service.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

John_SD
Whiz

"My worry is that I will miss the FF experience from 6D - low light sensor ..."

You are right to worry, and I would therefore skip a beginner APS-C camera like the R50. The EOS R8 is what you want, and Canon has it on sale now for $200 off, at $1299. I'd grab it and forget about taking a big step back with an R50. 

Announcements