cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent crashing of EOS R6 with RF 24-240 Lens but no issue with EF lenses

shamrockspider
Apprentice

I have a Canon RF 24-240 lens which I purchased 2nd hand in September 2023 which I have been using on my EOS R6 with BG-R10 battery grip fitted. Recently I have been experiencing an intermittant issue in that the camera crashes when it goes to save an image. The activity LED begins to flash as per normal to show that the camera is saving the image but then the camera just shuts down and will not start again until I have removed and restored the batteries before turning on the R6 again. Occassionally I find that the image has been saved, but more often than not it has not been saved.
The issue is intermittant in that the camera can crash on the first image taken or it might take several images without inccident in a session or it might run without a problem for a week of daily use as I go out daily to take sunrise photos. It does not appear to be battery related either as I have 3 pairs of LPE-6NH batteries which I use in the battery grip and it occurs with all of them.
I have removed the battery grip and tried running the R6/RF24-240 with just a camera mounted battery but have found that operation is still intermittant.
I don't appear to have a problem with any of my EF lenses mounted on the R6 via the EF/RF adapter, which tends to point to the issue being with the RF24-240 lens. It is the only RF lens I have so have not been able to try with another RF lens to see if the same thing happens.
Has anyone else had any similar issue with the RF24-240 or any other RF lens or idea on what could be causing

Regards Kevin
Auckland, New Zealand
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The very first thing to do is reset the camera's main and custom settings to defaults.  Now test without making any changes.  Are you able to reproduce the behavior?

If yes, have you tested with different media? A different card, maybe even two or three cards.  What media, brand and model are you using?  Where did you buy it from?  It should be full size and formatted in camera.

Can you verify the firmware version your camera is running and the lens?

If the above remains consistent, I think the best thing to do is to figure out how to reproduce the behavior consistently. (With the least number of steps). Then open the case with support. Get the camera back to them so that they can reproduce and observe the behavior.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The very first thing to do is reset the camera's main and custom settings to defaults.  Now test without making any changes.  Are you able to reproduce the behavior?

If yes, have you tested with different media? A different card, maybe even two or three cards.  What media, brand and model are you using?  Where did you buy it from?  It should be full size and formatted in camera.

Can you verify the firmware version your camera is running and the lens?

If the above remains consistent, I think the best thing to do is to figure out how to reproduce the behavior consistently. (With the least number of steps). Then open the case with support. Get the camera back to them so that they can reproduce and observe the behavior.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks, firmware for camera, lens and battery pack all up to date. It looks like it was the SD cards I was using.  Samsung EVO 512GB micro SD's in adapter, which I had used for over 12 months in the R6 with my EF lenses no problem.

Have purchased a couple of 64GB SanDisk Extreme's as a trial and so far no problems. Have noted that the camera boot up and shut down are a lot quicker with these in.  So if things continue go OK will get a pair of Larger capacity as 64GB will probably not be sufficient for a trip longer than a week. Going to Sydney in couple of weeks for a fortnight so see how they last.

Why the Samsung Evo's work OK with the all my EF lenses on the R6 and not the RF24-240mm I have no clue. 

Regards Kevin
Auckland NZ

Regards Kevin
Auckland, New Zealand

March411
Enthusiast

I would add one more item to Rick's post. Since other lenses are working have you inspected the contact points on the lens? With that lens failing and others working fine I would check the contact to make sure they are clean and bright. I rented a lens once that had issues and used a zeiss lens wipe to clean up some crud off the contacts.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many EF lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for image processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Richard,

Thanks for your reply and feedback.  Canon cameras do not like micro SD cards with adapters.  Glad we solved it.  Enjoy the lens.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements