cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I own a Canon EOS Rebel T6i. What ring flash (other than Canon) is compatible with this camera?

PA
Contributor

I own a Canon EOS Rebel T6i. What ring flash (other than Canon) is compatible with this camera?

13 REPLIES 13

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Any ETTL compatible model should work. Are you looking for a macro ring flash or portrait ring flash?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you, John.

I'm interested in macro and purchased a Meike FC 100 LED macro ring flash but cannot get it to synch with the camera.  When I try to set up external flash in "Menu", the camera reports that the flash is not turned on or the flash is not compatible with the camera.  Several internet sources assure me that this flash should be compatible.  This is the second ring flash I have tried with the camera that reports the same problem.  I am beginning to suspect a hot shoe problem.

@PA wrote:

Thank you, John.

I'm interested in macro and purchased a Meike FC 100 LED macro ring flash but cannot get it to synch with the camera.  When I try to set up external flash in "Menu", the camera reports that the flash is not turned on or the flash is not compatible with the camera.  Several internet sources assure me that this flash should be compatible.  This is the second ring flash I have tried with the camera that reports the same problem.  I am beginning to suspect a hot shoe problem.

I just went through that with a Canon 600EX RT-II.  I disabled the external flash in the menu, re-enabled it, and it woke up.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for your thoughts.  The menu on the T6i must be a bit different.  I cannot access the external flash control drop down menu unless an external flash is attached and when I attach the flash to the hot shoe, I am told that the flash is either not turned on or is incompatible.  This is the second ring flash I have purchased for this camera with the same result.

I suppose the next step is to find a Canon flash and see if that works.  Wow are they expensive!

I have an inexpensive ring flash that looks like this:

IMG_0469.JPG

When connected to the hot shoe I get the same error message.  

It it has two settings, flash and macro light. LEDs are always on in both settings, but at reduced intensity in flash setting and it does get brighter when shutter is activated. In macro mode light is always on at the intensity I dial. 

What behavior is is yours showing. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

IMG_0152[1].JPGIMG_0153[1].JPGIMG_0155[1].JPGIMG_0156[1].JPGIMG_0157[1].JPG

Have you tried to take a picture in manual mode?

It looks like it is a manual only flash which does not communicate with the camera. Does it have only one contact on the flash shoe?

PA
Contributor
Above is my setup. When the flash is turned on, the above green LEDs appear but the left one is blinking. <> buttons move the intensity indicator L or R as is proper. Pushing the LIGHT button turns on all the light ring lights. Pushing the PILOT button activates a flash of light and turns the mechanism off. Nothing changes when connected to the hot shoe of the camera in terms of the flash. Flash does not activate with shutter release on any camera setting that I have tried. Thank you for your interest in this matter.

What settings have you tried?

I am pretty sure you need to be in a creative mode, PAvTv or M.

Make sure your shutter speed is within the Sync Speed. (1/200 or lower)  Do not use live view.

Read page 172 on the pdf manual.

What does the manual of the flash say?

Announcements