cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m having issues getting images from my M50

NMercedes
Apprentice

I bought a second hand M50 and it works perfectly the only issue is that i use both RAW and JPEG for my content and when I went to transfer the images from my SD card to my online drive both of my Windows Laptop couldn’t read the images, it ‘couldn’t support the type of content/ image’ and this was with most of the JPEG images.

im not sure why is this the case.

10 REPLIES 10

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Are you sure those weren't RAW Files. Also how are you copying the files over. Via a USB SD card reader. Or are you pulling them from the camera via USB.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Yea they were JPG because the raw files wouldn’t show any image only the Adobe Lightroom App Symbol and showed as CR3.

Yes I did copy them from a USB SD Card Reader, should I have done it directly through the camera?

I was just checking to see how you moved the pictures. Its best to use a USB card reader. It's also faster than pulling from the camera.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

@deebatman316 wrote:

It's also faster than pulling from the camera.

Perhaps.  It will depend upon if the card reader is attached to a port that would have higher bandwidth as compared to the port that the camera would be connected to.  e.g. data transfers via a camera connected to USB-C would out-perform data transfers from a USB card reader connected to USB-A/B.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Yes that is true. But I don't believe any EOS M series cameras offer USB C.

-Demetrius

I wasn't saying that an EOS M-series camera would have USB-C.  I was providing an arbitrary example showing that transfer speeds of a camera vs card reader depends upon how the camera connects vs how the card reader connects.

Any data transfer will only be as fast as the slowest link in the chain: media card read speed, target drive write speed, etc.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Yes that is true. There's sometimes a weak link in the chain.

-Demetrius

krahe
Rising Star
Rising Star

This sounds like a Windows issue. Have you tried transferring the images to another computer and opening them there?

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

NMercedes,

D/l the free from Canon DPP4 and use it to transfer photos and to view them. The SD reader is one way but you can do it directly from the camera. Makes no difference except perhaps how fast it is.

Any Windows machine should be able to view your jpg. Windows calls it differently depending on which version you have the current Win 11 is the Photos App. If you can't see them you may have to restore the Photos App to its default setting to resolve the issue. However not all versions of Lightroom can view Canon CR3 files. For that you will need the DNG converter or upgrade your version of LR.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements