cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just upgraded to a 3ti from a rebel xt. When I try to open my RAW images in photoshop elements 5.

cg2542
Apprentice

I just upgraded to a 3ti from a rebel xt.  When I try to open my RAW images in photoshop elements 5.0 get an error message.   I installed the camera raw update 4.2 but that didn't work.  Any suggestions. 

error_message.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

ScottyP
Authority

Hi,

Elements version 5 was made obsolete by Elements 6 back in 2007.  The T3i was only released 2-3 years ago.  Adobe was up to Elements version 9 or 10 by then.  Every camera has its own particular camera raw software, and Adobe has to write an update for the software to work with each new camera's RAW files.  And Adobe stops updating the old versions to work with new cameras when the next version of Elements/Lightroom come out. 

I had to buy Lightroom 4 only 6 months after I had bought Lightroom 3 when I bought a new camera.  The older version would not, and never will, work with the RAW files from my 6D. 

You could, I believe, use DPP to convert the RAW files before exporting them into Elements 5, but personally I would just take this as a cue that it is time to get Elements 11.  Or Lightroom 5.  I personally prefer Lightroom.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Simply put your version of Elements is outdated as pointed out above. You need to decide whether or not you want to spend the money on a neweer version of Elements, buy Lightroom (which I don't use) or learn Canon's free DPP which keeps improving but doesn't quite have as many adjustments as Adobe's RAW converter. The more serious you are about getting the image just the way you "see it" should dictate which way you go.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There is another “free” way to use your PS Elements 5.

Get the latest version of DNG Converter from Adobe.

It will convert your files to DNG format. The files will work with any version of the Camera Raw plug-in.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you all so much for your replies.  I'm was silly to think that old version would work with my new camera!  I decided to upgrade to PSE 11 and everything is working perfectly! 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements