cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am lost with the M100 function assignment buttons

mangurian
Enthusiast

I only found a brief uninformative page in the manual and I haven't figured out on my own (after fooling around with the camera).

1. I know what the * button is. What is the thing that looks like an eye ?
  2. What are these functions and how do you use them ?

Any help (in newbie language) GREATLY appreciated.

Snap 2018-11-25 at 09.08.59.png

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think that icon represents the shutter button.  Review the pages prior to this one.  They should explain the icons somewhere.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

IT could be when you put your eye to the eyepiece that activates the OVF

@kvbarkley wrote:

IT could be when you put your eye to the eyepiece that activates the OVF

I am pretty certain that it is the shutter button.  The screenshot has been cropped so much that it has no context.  

—————————————————————————————-

And, I have no idea which manual that came from.  For certain, it is not the same M100 manual that I am looking at.  There is no good way to explain this in layman’s terms, so I am not going to try.  Doing so would only muddy the waters.

036ABF86-CD98-494C-B383-0DEC98779760.jpeg

This screenshot explains it a little better, but not much.  This is found in the custom function menu.  Google Back Button Focus, because this is telling you how to set it up.  It is an advanced way to use the camera, and is not suited for absolute beginners.

The “Function” column identifies a button to press.  In the center, it is identifying two buttons at once because their functions compliment one another.  Notice how the buttons are separated by a “ / “.  It is saying, “ Button 1 / Button 2 “.

Now look at the next column, which identifies camera functions.  Notice how the function descriptions are also separated by a “ / “.  What it is saying is this, “ Function 1 / Function 2 “.  These functions are what you will get if you press the indicated buttons.

”AE” means Automatic Exposure.  “AF” means Automatic Focus.  You can set functionality both with and without the option to be able to “AE Lock”, which means locking the exposure settings.  Shutter Speed, Aperture, and ISO Value.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@mangurian wrote:

I only found a brief uninformative page in the manual and I haven't figured out on my own (after fooling around with the camera).

1. I know what the * button is. What is the thing that looks like an eye ?
  2. What are these functions and how do you use them ?

Any help (in newbie language) GREATLY appreciated.

Snap 2018-11-25 at 09.08.59.png

You have cropped the table too much.  Where are the column headers?  This table is showing you which shooting modes that the camera feature would be enabled, and which modes where it is disabled.  In this example, the feature is only enabled in the Creatve Shooting modes.

Tim
Authority

Hello mangurian, 

1.  The thing that looks like an eye is the symbol for the shutter button. 

2.  As other users have suggested, the screen shot of that graph is out of context with the additional information omitted, but it would have indicated in which modes a setting with work or won't work.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements