cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set BBF ON 60D

Beckyk
Contributor

What is the correct set up number for BBF.

I want to have shutter button set to shoot.

the AF-on button to meter and focus. 

Is it #3? Thanks 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi Beckyk!

Perhaps the easiest solution in this case would be to give our all-American tech support team a call! They're at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). They'll be happy to walk you through setting up back button focus on your EOS 60D!

View solution in original post

"I think I need # 3 do I have to push the AE-on button to start meter and then push the * button to lock it OR just let go of the AE-ON button."

"yes I did see that and I read it all but I'm sorry but I'm so confused. " 

You have to go into your Custom Functions Menu Screen, Custom Function IV, custom parameter 1, not number 3.  Can you find the Custom Function settings in your Menu screens?

You want to assign "Metering & AF Start" assigned to the "AF Start" button.  The article suggests selecting options 1, 2, 3, or 4 will set up back button focus, but each setting will have a slightly different behavior.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Check this article.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/backbutton_af_article.shtml

thank you so much for the artical. I'm still a little confused with which setting to pick. 

I'm sorry to ask again, 

I think I need # 3 do I have to push the AE-on button to start meter and then push the * button to lock it OR just let go of the AE-ON button.  

@Beckyk wrote:

thank you so much for the artical. I'm still a little confused with which setting to pick. 

I'm sorry to ask again, 

I think I need # 3 do I have to push the AE-on button to start meter and then push the * button to lock it OR just let go of the AE-ON button.  

Did you notice that the article is pretty lengthy, and covers three pages?  Take a look again, at the thrid page

EOS Rebel T3: C.Fn 7 (option 1 or 3)
EOS Rebel T3i: C.Fn 9 (option 1 or 3)
EOS Rebel T4i: C.Fn 6 (option 1 or 3)
EOS 60D: C.Fn IV-1 (option 1, 2, 3, or 4)
EOS 7D: C.Fn IV-1 (Custom Controls — Shutter, AF-ON, AEL buttons)
EOS 6D: C.Fn III-5 (Custom Controls -- Shutter, AF-ON, AEL buttons)
EOS 5D Mark II: C.Fn IV-1 (option 2 or 3)
EOS 5D Mark III: C.Fn menu screen 2 (Custom Controls -- Shutter, AF-ON, AEL buttons)
EOS-1D X: C.Fn menu screen 5 (Custom Controls -- Shutter, AF-ON, AEL buttons)

That can be found on the third page [or you display all pages as single page], along with detailed explanations of what each of the settings are.

yes I did see that and I read it all but I'm sorry but I'm so confused. 

Hi Beckyk!

Perhaps the easiest solution in this case would be to give our all-American tech support team a call! They're at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). They'll be happy to walk you through setting up back button focus on your EOS 60D!

thanks so much I will call them.

"I think I need # 3 do I have to push the AE-on button to start meter and then push the * button to lock it OR just let go of the AE-ON button."

"yes I did see that and I read it all but I'm sorry but I'm so confused. " 

You have to go into your Custom Functions Menu Screen, Custom Function IV, custom parameter 1, not number 3.  Can you find the Custom Function settings in your Menu screens?

You want to assign "Metering & AF Start" assigned to the "AF Start" button.  The article suggests selecting options 1, 2, 3, or 4 will set up back button focus, but each setting will have a slightly different behavior.

yes I was able to find it, thanks. And I believe I have it set now.
I'm going to call canon just to make sure I have it right. THanks again for all your help.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

The 60D has an AF-ON button which means you only need to remove AF from the shutter button, for BBF.

I'm not a big fan of BBF, instead I program the AF-ON button, to act as AF OFF. I leave focus start on the shutter button, and when I want to suspend AF, like to manually focus through branches, only then do I have to press a second button, I just don't understand why you would want to have to press two buttons, BBF and the shutter button most of the time.

Announcements