cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix error 01 "communication between the camera and lens is faulty" on eos rebel t2i

millaman_adam
Apprentice

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Remove lens. Using a cloth gently wipe the gold contacts on the lens and the camera. Reinstall lens.

If you have access to a second lens and/or camera try different lens on your camera to see which component has problem, or install your lens on a different camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The problem is the lens, not the camera. I tried using my 18-55mm lens and it worked perfectly fine. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Unless you have reason to believe dirty contacts, cleaning them rarely helps.  But one reason would be if you left the lens on the camera for a long time.  I mean years!  But if you change the lens from time to time, the contacts self clean.

As John Hoffman advises, trying a different lens is in order.  You must know which is faulty.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Just inside the lens mounting flange on the camera body you'll see the gold "pins" and these mate with the gold contact plates on the lens side.  

The "pins" are all spring loaded - so they work like button in that you should be able to press on each pin individually and it should spring right back out.

If you've got a pice of grit jamming a pin then it's possible one of the pins is not springing back out to make contact with the lens.  

Check to make sure you don't have a jammed pin.

It's especially helpful if you have a different lens that you can use to determine if this issue is unique to just one lens (in which case it's probably a fault with the lens) or if it happens to every lens (in which case it's the camera body at fault.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Check the Canon eStore for refurb lens to compare price vs repair cost.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements