cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Stream Longer than 30 minutes with Canon M50 with autofocus, NO capture card!!

walstonbball
Contributor

Read a lot of forums and watched a lot of videos and I think I figured it out! 

I open EOS Utility, plug my M50 into my iMac with a micro USB (one made for data transfer, such as a phone cable), then open live view mode and move it into a different window by itself. 

Next, I open OBS and add a window capture and select the live view window. I crop it and I am good to go! 

Note: You have to make sure the M50 screen is out and flipped into selfie mode, this is what keeps the camera from freezing after 30 minutes. 

Now you have a streaming camera with continuous autofocus for longer than 30 minutes, oh and without a capture card! 

I hope this is able to help someone that ran into the same issues as me! 

38 REPLIES 38

@ebiggs1 I agree - it would be nice to know what's the "official" internal temperature when the camera shuts down. Most likely it depends on a model though... I know on some Sony models you can actually chose it: standard vs high  https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1540/v1/en/contents/TP0001443379.html

@docusync wrote:

@ebiggs1 I agree - it would be nice to know what's the "official" internal temperature when the camera shuts down. Most likely it depends on a model though... I know on some Sony models you can actually chose it: standard vs high  https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1540/v1/en/contents/TP0001443379.html

And, knowing that little tidbit of info would serve what useful purpose?  

All that really matters is that most Canon bodies give you a two stage warning.

• Warning Will Robinson
  • Danger Will Robinson
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle just plain curiosity - you would know what to expect from your camera and when. Maybe not the temperature itself, but something like the Sony link from my previous post - a correlation between the ambient temperature and time, with and without external recorder. We won't be having this long disucssion if we knew it 😉

I think there is no "Danger" sign btw. It's a warning and then a shutdown, at least on the Sony cameras.

7D and Live view. Failed to get any high temperature warnings. The temperature stoped to increase after a while. I will try video and raw video later.

IMG_20200423_085643.jpg

IMG_20200423_074646.jpg

IMG_20200423_083647.jpg

IMG_20200423_082639.jpg

IMG_20200423_081700.jpg

IMG_20200423_080649.jpg

IMG_20200423_075658.jpg

IMG_20200423_075731.jpg

IMG_20200423_075731.jpg

@Peter wrote:

7D and Live view. Failed to get any high temperature warnings. The temperature stoped to increase after a while. I will try video and raw video later.

IMG_20200423_085643.jpg

If the operating temperature is not a problem, then why does it appear to be highlighted in orange?  

Most consumer electronics have a maximum operating temperature that is less than 125 F or less.  The EOS R has a maximum recommended operating temperature of 40 C, which is about 104 F.

Just because you can do something does not mean that you should do it.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Peter wrote:

IMG_20200423_085643.jpg

If the operating temperature is not a problem, then why does it appear to be highlighted in orange?  

Most consumer electronics have a maximum operating temperature that is less than 125 F or less.  The EOS R has a maximum recommended operating temperature of 40 C, which is about 104 F.

Just because you can do something does not mean that you should do it.

A question you should ask at ML forum and not ask Canon nor me. I loose some dynamic range at this temperature. I have 11,47 EV of dynamic range at 56 degrees Celsius.

Here some temperatures in video mode at 29,97 frames/second. 10 minutes between every photo. Still no temperature warning from Canon.

IMG_20200423_111905.jpg

IMG_20200423_110909.jpg

IMG_20200423_105910.jpg

IMG_20200423_104919.jpg

IMG_20200423_103909.jpg

IMG_20200423_102914.jpg

IMG_20200423_101909.jpg

"A question you should ask at ML forum and not ask Canon nor me. I loose some dynamic range at this temperature. I have 11,47 EV of dynamic range at 56 degrees Celsius.

Here some temperatures in video mode at 29,97 frames/second. 10 minutes between every photo. Still no temperature warning from Canon."

I will let you ask the question in a ML forum.  I will pass.  You must have me mixed up with those who have argued that DSLRs can overheat when used as video cameras.  

I simply asked a simple question.  If there is no problem with rising temperatures, then why is the temperature display seemingly highlighted as a warning?  I think it is orange because the displayed temperature is far outside of the manufacturer recommended areas of safe operation.

Tried raw video now. 14 minutes and no more space on my 64GB card...

@Waddizzle wrote:

"A question you should ask at ML forum and not ask Canon nor me. I loose some dynamic range at this temperature. I have 11,47 EV of dynamic range at 56 degrees Celsius.

Here some temperatures in video mode at 29,97 frames/second. 10 minutes between every photo. Still no temperature warning from Canon."

I will let you ask the question in a ML forum.  I will pass.  You must have me mixed up with those who have argued that DSLRs can overheat when used as video cameras.  

I simply asked a simple question.  If there is no problem with rising temperatures, then why is the temperature display seemingly highlighted as a warning?  I think it is orange because the displayed temperature is far outside of the manufacturer recommended areas of safe operation.

Or you just ask at ML forum why they use orange at 50 degrees Celsius for 7D, instead of guessing.

@Peter wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Or you just ask at ML forum why they use orange at 50 degrees Celsius for 7D, instead of guessing.

I have already said that I will pass.  I asked you what does it mean?  It is YOUR camera.  YOU explain it. 

Announcements