cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I extend the record time from 30 min. to 1 hour on an EOS Rebel T3i?

SandfordWells
Apprentice

I am using a 32 GB SanDisk with nothing on it at this time.  I tried setting the Movie-recording Size to 640 x 480 with no improvement.

Sandford

4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

IF you need a longer recording time you must buy a video camera. Still cameras can't do what you want to do.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

When a still camera captures and saves video images, there will be physical limitations imposed on the files that are created.  The files will be limited to either 29:59 in running time, or approximately 4GB in size.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

When a still camera captures and saves video images, there will be physical limitations imposed on the files that are created.  The files will be limited to either 29:59 in running time, or approximately 4GB in size.

Just to be clear, the two limitations are unrelated. The size limitation is imposed by the file system used by the camera. The recording time limitation keeps the camera from being taxed as a video camera by certain countries. (I've read that it's the EU, but I can't confirm that.)

Recording may also stop if the camera starts to overheat or if the memory card can't keep up with the rate at which information is being sent to it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks for all the information.  It was very helpful.

Sandy

Announcements