cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can I Recover/Repair .DAT file from Canon R6?

amillett
Apprentice

Hi! I have a .DAT file that resulted from my R6 freezing while shooting video of a wedding back in October. I've tried using different software that had little to no results (VLC, Winff, Stellar Repair) and wanted to reach out to the community with any suggestions of what can be done to recover the video from the file. It shows data is in the file (448MB), but I can't view in camera or on my computer. Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

nicholastjs
Apprentice

I have the same issue after taking an overnight timelapse. Wondering if anyone can share any ideas on how to recover the DAT file.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I would have thought that the extension would be something like "MXF" instead of "DAT". A long shot here, but what happens if you rename to use an "MXF" extension instead?

Or better yet, locate any valid video you captured beforehand and note its extension.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hey! I did try changing the file type, but unfortunately that didn't make it playable either 😞

nicholastjs
Apprentice

Typically all video and timelapses taken are MP4. However, there's one file that has DAT as its extension, which I believe is due to some corruption, but the file is still 260MB. So I would like to see if there's a way to recover this.

amillett
Apprentice

The only solution I've found so far, is using a company called Aero Quartet to recover the data. Unfortunately, it's something I had to pay for ($49 to recover my clip), but I needed it. You guys are welcome to try it out if Canon doesn't have any other options 😑https://aeroquartet.com/treasured/canon%20eos.en.html

Kong
Apprentice

Anyone know if the Stellar Repair for Video works? It's $70 for the unlimited version. I don't want to buy it if it is pointless. There are some You tube videos promoting it but I noticed that Amazon has this and the ratings are horrible. I am not going to buy it unless someone can vouch for it . Or other products? I am surprised Canon does not have a patch for this.

They offer a free trial download. You could check it out for yourself.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hey Kong, I tried it, but it didn't work - I had success with aero quartet, but they will charge you (for me it was $49 for my small 16 second clip)

I just used their service, but as you mentioned, their $49 for any video seems a bit too pricey for short clips. I paid $49 for a 5 second timelapse video 😞

Announcements