cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot shoe screws for 5D mk. iii

RoyMeyer
Apprentice

Thanks to Canon's now infamous hot shoe issues, I've lost the hot shoe mount bracket on my 5D mk. iii. I had another Canon DSLR that no longer functions, an 80D, so I tried using the parts from that one. The screws don't seem to be long enough. I can screw them in without the bracket, so the threads match. But with the bracket they aren't long enough to reach.

Does anyone know if the 5Diii uses longer screws than other bodies? And if so, what size screws do I need to find?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I checked the parts list for my T6s and the screw length for it is 3.8mm. The PL for my 1D X Mk III shows 5mm, so it is possible that the 80D would be shorter.

Screenshot 2024-01-27 074204.jpg

If the screws are not correct you could contact USCamera-dot-com to order the correct part.

If the screws are correct but the PC board dropped down as Mike discussed you could perhaps go to Lowe's or Home Depot and pick up a longer screw of the correct diameter and thread and use it to screw into the PC board and pull it up enough to start the proper screws.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

March411
Enthusiast

Have you attempted to contact a Canon repair center near you? I have one close and they have always been able to give me the spec and correct parts for simple repairs.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many EF lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for image processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I don't believe the 5D3 is still under support, but you can certainly check with the parts department for the screws.

Canon Parts Dept
Canon Parts Order Desk at (866) 481-2569
Weekdays from 9 AM - 7 PM, ET.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Are you sure the screws are too short?  They should be 4.5mm long.

80F6281A-F106-4ED7-89EB-775055B03D05.jpeg

Often when all 4 screws are removed, the circuit board inside falls free, and can not be positioned again. The camera top then has to be removed so you can access the circuit board on the inside of the top cover.

Here is a video that shows how to tighten the screws and also shows how short the screws are:

https://youtu.be/FiIKNjZLrh4?si=-3z6D9-XUVla1oNA 

3CA94998-E0F9-401C-AA27-4D599B1B2A18.jpeg

0C70C6B6-C801-4A11-8888-D13E11239428.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I checked the parts list for my T6s and the screw length for it is 3.8mm. The PL for my 1D X Mk III shows 5mm, so it is possible that the 80D would be shorter.

Screenshot 2024-01-27 074204.jpg

If the screws are not correct you could contact USCamera-dot-com to order the correct part.

If the screws are correct but the PC board dropped down as Mike discussed you could perhaps go to Lowe's or Home Depot and pick up a longer screw of the correct diameter and thread and use it to screw into the PC board and pull it up enough to start the proper screws.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I just measured the screws I pulled from the 80D and they're slightly under 4mm, so probably 3.8 like the T6s uses. Mystery solved, I just need to buy some 4.5mm screws.

Announcements