cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get GPS data to EOS R5 from my cell phone.

jmoore1941
Apprentice

I seem to be caught in a perpetual Catch 22 when trying to get GPS data from my Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra to my EOS R5. I was able to set up having the photos downloaded, but no luck with the GPS. In trying to connect the camera to tblhe phone, the software requires that Bluetooth be disabled and Wi-Fi the be enabled. This works fine the transfer the photos. Transferring the GPS requires a Bluetooth connection, but the software seems to block this. When I go down the menu track to enable GPS, I get the Message that "This function can only be used when you are connected via Wi-Fi."

Is there some magic that forces that connection?

Jim Moore

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Is this a brand-new phone using a very new version/variant of Android? If so, all features may not work as expected. You may want to reach out to support directly to confirm. They're available Monday through Saturday at 800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). 

View solution in original post

I did call Canon Tech support and the agent walked me through the process. The key was to go to Network2 and click on "Reset communication settings". About 10 minutes on the phone and everything works now!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the Canon forums.

What app are you trying to use on the phone?

You cannot write data to the camera’s memory card(s).  Period.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Jim,

You actually use Bluetooth for the GPS connection.  WiFi is only needed when transferring photos.  The first time you pair, the CC App will ask to you "allow" GPS data.  This has to be allowed in the Apps permissions to transfer.  You can view permissions for the App in Android under Settings.  Let me see if I can grab some screenshot for you.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes, I understand that Bluetooth has to be used for the GPS. Problem is that my phone can't detect Bluetooth from my R5. Should having "Bluetooth settings" set to Enable accomplish this? I had noticed that when I was trying to set my GPS device that smartphone was in gray letters rather than white.

I have looked under the phone's setup for Bluetooth for devices to connect. That showed that the camera had been linked to Bluetooth on a previous device (a Note 3) but I could not get it to update to the R5. I guess this is the Catch 22 I referred to. The phone communicates fine over Wi-Fi but not at all over Bluetooth.

Suggestions???

Is this a brand-new phone using a very new version/variant of Android? If so, all features may not work as expected. You may want to reach out to support directly to confirm. They're available Monday through Saturday at 800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). 

Thank you, I did not have that number. Yes it is a new phone and shipment only started a month or so ago. I will call on Monday!

I did call Canon Tech support and the agent walked me through the process. The key was to go to Network2 and click on "Reset communication settings". About 10 minutes on the phone and everything works now!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi,

I've been carrying Android devices for 13 years.  Many different manufacturers, variants and every build of Android, stock, skinned and open source ROMs from xda community.  The S24 was released in Jan of this year.

Bluetooth does not show what devices a current or formally paired device was connected to previously.  I'm very sure of this.  Bluetooth does show a list a previously paired devices with your phone, but again, not what one of those device was also connected to previously.

For paring to occur, Bluetooth needs to be enabled.  Here are the steps. 

Start by enabling bluetooth on the camera's menus.  Confirm the bluetooth icon appears on the top LCD .

Now go to the S24 and click the settings cog.  Bluetooth is listed under connected devices.  Click the plus + icon "Pair New Device.  The phone will now begin announcing its presence and also look for devices "broadcasting" their presence.  Tip: Make sure the camera hasn't gone to sleep during pairing.

Check the screen on the S24.  Any bluetooth devices (like the camera) within proximity to the phone will appear in the paring screen.  Tap the camera when it appears in the list.  Once it shows as connected, open the Canon Connect App.  If you need screen shots of the process, I can provide today.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements