cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus Type: AUTO or MANUAL

wchettel
Enthusiast

Hello,

I have an EOS Rebel SL2. It takes great photos. Most of the time I use Auto Focus, but sometimes I'll use Manual focus. Is the focus type, either Auto or Manual stored in the photo's EXIF data somewhere? If so, what is the name of the data field it's stored in?

--
Walter
in Davie, FL
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Use Canon DPP.

Screenshot 2021-07-26 062943.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Use Canon DPP.

Screenshot 2021-07-26 062943.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Use Canon DPP.

John, thanks for your tip on using DPP. I had it installed, but I've been using Photoshop Elements 2020 to edit and organize my photos. After seeing your reply, I opened DPP and updated it to the newest version (v4.15). I am seeing some strange info for many of my photos.

Some photos show a very abbreviated list of info items and a photo taken just 6 seconds later shows a full pane of info. What would cause this? (screen clips attached).

2021-07-26 13_28_44-Digital Photo Professional 4 - [Folder_ D__Pictures_Camera - Canon SL2].png2021-07-26 13_29_20-Digital Photo Professional 4 - [Folder_ D__Pictures_Camera - Canon SL2].png

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

I have no idea Walter.

I just tried that with several folders and a number of images. Did not experience that condition.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Could you have edited the truncated version in PSE? PSE might have discarded any EXIF data it did not understand.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Could you have edited the truncated version in PSE? PSE might have discarded any EXIF data it did not understand.

@kvbarkley, Thanks for your suggestion!

I probably did edit in PSE. The photo history for the one with the truncated data showed a modified date 2 days after it was imported from the camera. I probably edited it to straighten the horizon. That group of photos was taken while on an airboat on the St John's River. We were going pretty fast and doing a lot of zig-zagging. I had to straighten the horizon on many of those photos.

Wow! I did not think that PSE would do that!

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Walter,

On a jpeg photo, my exif data will show this:

jpeg.jpg

Steve Thomas

stevet1 -

From what software, it looks like the standard Windows Picture Viewer.

kvbarkley and Walter,

I use Irfanview as my go-to image viewer. Once the image is loaded up on the screen, you hit the letter E to pull up the exif dara.

Steve Thomas

@stevet1 wrote:

Walter,

On a jpeg photo, my exif data will show this:

jpeg.jpg

Steve Thomas

What software are you using to show this info?

--
Walter
in Davie, FL
Announcements