cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F stop showing as 00

Roysugars
Contributor

Hi i am using my 20D with my 24-105, 

Over the last couple of years Err99 has shown up but after turning the camera on and off a couple of time to clear the err it resolved it self.

yesterday err99 raised it head again and while shooting was resolved by turning the camera on and off.

to rectify the issue. once home I gently rubbed the contacts on the lense with a dry lense cloth as I do not have access to iso promo and did not like some of the comments about abrasive rubbers and or leaving more residue and pits behind.

today when the camera attempts to auto focus the F stop is showing up as "00" and the camera will not take a shot !!!!!

issue will only resolve by disconnecting the lense and reconnecting. Initially showing F4 it but again once the camera tries to auto focus it locks up with an F stop of "00" on the screen.

i also have a 70-200 and I am not getting this issue when I change to and  shoot with this lenses.

the 24-105 is my main lense for shoots and I have one tomorrow ! So I do not have the option of sending it off to canon even if there was a service center in my current country/region

Has any one come across this befor and are there any "at home" fixes ????

thanks 

roy

15 REPLIES 15

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

24-105 is known to have problems with a ribbon cable inside lens.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3917573

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks Hoffman

Ok so I'm in the caymans till July which services enter would any recommend ? Does any one know what happens if you don't like the repaire quote canon might offer ?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Give 1-800-OK-CANON a call.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
http://www.royalcameras.net/canon-lens-repair?gclid=Cj0KEQiAuqC2BRDVxMSnpa-mhZoBEiQAFta8wY08l2h3kBnn...
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks guys I'll follow up both options you've been great and very prompt

Roy,

You need to have the camera looked at.  I doubt it is your lens.  Stop trying to clean the contacts. They are gold plated and it is very easy to rub the gold off.  if you do clean them use a q-tip and alcohol.  When you can, get the camera checked out along with the lens.

The fact the other lens works doesn't mean anything.  Get the camera looked at.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

EastLelandDavid
Contributor

Take the lens off the body and place a body cap on the camera.  What are you seeing on the screen?  You should be seeingthe same 00.  It sounds as though your camera is not making contact with the pins in the mount.  Try carefully cleaning the pins.  Don't use any fluids or erasers.  There is not too much you will be able to do if the trouble is inside the camera.  Good luck.

ezpop
Rising Star

There is also a chance that one or more of the camera contact pins ( near the bottom of the mount) get stuck and is causing contact problem. If one appears shorter than the other, then it may have been pushed in improperly causing jamming and will not touch the lens contacts.

pins.jpg

Announcements