cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3i Err 05

jodihlee
Apprentice

I have a Canon EOS Rebel T3i. When on manual mode, my built-in flash pops up, but the display says "err 05 The built-in flash could not be raised. Turn the camera off and on again." But the built in flash IS raised. So even though the built-in flash popped up, it will not allow me to take any pictures with the flash. Is this something easy I can fix from home?

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Jodi and welcome to the forum

It would help to have some more detail, starting with what camera model you are referring to.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

its a canon EOS Rebel T3i

Is this issue occurring when you have pressed the flash button on the side of the central 

You can try manually releasing it by turning the <MODE DIAL> to the [P] mode, then pressing the <FLASH> button located near the lens mount just below the flash on the front of the camera.

Tronhard_0-1664914798936.png

If that does not work, press and hold the flash release button and gently use a fingernail under the joint between the flash cover and the camera body to see if it will release - it may have got stuck from lack of use or dust ingress.

rpfaff, Error 5 means flash error.

Place thumb on rear left hand side of popup flash and apply light pressure to manual assist in it to open.

Now press the manual flash popup button and providing you still have pressure on the rear left hand side of the popup, it should lift, if not try wiggling flash gently while assisting it to open with thumb and index finger, while depressing popup button.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

When the flash is raised can you try and see if you can gently raise it any higher? Perhaps it is not raising fully to signal the full up position to the camera.

I checked a T6s, and there is a small plunger at the right-rear of the flash chamber when the flash is raised. That probably signals that the flash is up. See 1. if your model has that or a similar configuration, and 2. if so check that it is free to move. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements