cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos R5 evf white vertical line.

Lbrasseur
Apprentice
Hey guys I turned on my R5 this morning and look through the evf only to find a thick white vertical line going through the left side of the evf. Is there anything I can do to fix this. I assume this something that has to go back to canon. Camera is less that 5 months old and seen very light use. It doesn’t seem to effect the image but the white line is so bright it actually makes it hard for my eye to focus while looking through the evf.
3 REPLIES 3

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

It is going to have to go back to Canon for that, it sounds like a failure in the display system.  If it doesn't show up on captured images, then at least the image sensor wasn't damaged. 

Mirrorless cameras are like video cameras where the sensor is constantly exposed to light unlike a DSLR so they can be inadvertently damaged by exposure to intense light such as lasers used for light shows or letting it accidentally point at the sun for an extended period while not being used.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Lbrasseur
Apprentice
Yeah it’s definitely in the display and not on the images. It’s pretty annoying since this body has seen very little use and has been babied.

Early failure of electronics components is unfortunately less rare than it should be.  My experience with Canon service has always been very good so reach out to them to set up a warranty repair. 

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements