cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS rebel T3 is not taking pictures

sud
Apprentice

I have EOS Rebel t3 .

I have a tried everything I know but nothing has helped. When I try to take a photograph, press the shutter release button, a 9 with a green flashing light shows up in the bottom of the view finder and the camera will not trip the shutter. I've tried resetting the camera's setting, I replaced the battery and have turned the camera on and off several times. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stephen

Hi sud!

Thanks for reaching out!

It sounds like your T3 isn't achieving focus. If you're using the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens, try flipping the switch on the side of the lens from "AF" to "MF" and see if your camera will let you take a photo (albeit a blurry photo) in "P" mode on the top dial. 

If it does, that lets us know what the problem is, and the following might resolve the issue:

Keeping the lens in MF (please make sure you don't have it in AF, or you can damage your lens), rotate the tip of the lens (the focus ring, not the zoom ring) all the way from one side to the other. You might hear a slight pop, a click, or a little bit of a grinding noise. This is normal, but do not force the lens at all! Once you've rotated the focus ring all the way from one side to the other, flip the switch from "MF" to "AF" and try to take a photo (staying in "P" on the top dial). Your lens should spring to life and focus like normal. If it struggles and you see the blinking green light again, it's time to contact support for further troubleshooting or possible repair. Our fantastic US-based team can be reached by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) weekdays from 8am to Midnight (ET) and Saturdays from 10am to 8pm (ET). 

I hope this helps! 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

diverhank
Authority

@sud wrote:

I have EOS Rebel t3 .

I have a tried everything I know but nothing has helped. When I try to take a photograph, press the shutter release button, a 9 with a green flashing light shows up in the bottom of the view finder and the camera will not trip the shutter. I've tried resetting the camera's setting, I replaced the battery and have turned the camera on and off several times. Any suggestions?

It sounds like for some reasons the camera cannot focus.  When it thinks it can't, it won't take a picture.  The blinking light is a circle not a 9 though.

Try switching the M/A switch on your lens to M and take a picture.  If you can take a picture then it's the focus.  Unless there's something wrong with the lens, the only time the camera can't focus is that there is not enough light or enough contrast for it to work.  Try focusing in bright light on something contrasty and see if it would work.  If not then there is something wrong with the camera.

Capture.JPG

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Stephen

Hi sud!

Thanks for reaching out!

It sounds like your T3 isn't achieving focus. If you're using the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens, try flipping the switch on the side of the lens from "AF" to "MF" and see if your camera will let you take a photo (albeit a blurry photo) in "P" mode on the top dial. 

If it does, that lets us know what the problem is, and the following might resolve the issue:

Keeping the lens in MF (please make sure you don't have it in AF, or you can damage your lens), rotate the tip of the lens (the focus ring, not the zoom ring) all the way from one side to the other. You might hear a slight pop, a click, or a little bit of a grinding noise. This is normal, but do not force the lens at all! Once you've rotated the focus ring all the way from one side to the other, flip the switch from "MF" to "AF" and try to take a photo (staying in "P" on the top dial). Your lens should spring to life and focus like normal. If it struggles and you see the blinking green light again, it's time to contact support for further troubleshooting or possible repair. Our fantastic US-based team can be reached by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) weekdays from 8am to Midnight (ET) and Saturdays from 10am to 8pm (ET). 

I hope this helps! 

Thanks It worked.

Awesome! Glad it helped! 

Thank you so much for the clear, perfect advice and solution to my problem! You have absolutely MADE my DAY! It's been a crappy one up until now, but now that I have my camera back in the land of the living, everything else is NO big deal:) Bless you and this canon community resource!!

"... the following might resolve the issue:..."

Drats, you beat me to it.  This time!  Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements