cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS rebel SL1 100D, how to point and shoot.

lampman
Contributor

I recently purchased the, EOS rebel SL1 100D.camera lens, EFS 18- 55 MM,+ EFS 55- 250 MM.

I know it is over my head, but hope to learn, meanwhile, Is there a setting for point and shoot?.

I will be 81 next month, like to spend some time taking better pictures.

Any help would be appreciated. 

lampman

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is how..............

The A+ , the green square with the green A+ in it, position on the mode dial gives access to Intelligent Auto mode, and is followed by other fully automatic modes like Creative Auto and Canon's scene modes. Rotating the dial the other way gives access to the program, shutter priority, aperture priority and manual modes.

Use the green square and shoot to your hearts content!  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

thanks,ebiggs1

I will try this out.

Lampman

I didagree. Switch to Program mode & take the time to learn about & how to use Exposure Compensation. Auto will take the photo but Program lets you take a better photo with a very tiny learning curve.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

thanks,cicopo.
I will try both out and see what's best for me.
Two heads are better than one.

In that case (which is a good idea) AFTER you decide which fits your needs best check out the instructions for Flash Exposure Compensation which is the next step I think most need to learn.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

ebiggs and cicopo are both basically giving you very similar advice.  There's a subtle difference between the two modes.

In full auto mode (green A+ box on the mode dial) the camera is fully automatic.  It will set the exposure and it will not let you override it.  In fact, it wont let you override much of anything.  That mode tries to be somewhat "fool proof" in that if you mess with buttons on the camera body -- many of the button presses will be ignored in full auto mode.

Program mode ("P" on the mode dial) is siimilar in that it also works out the exposure exactly the way it would have in fully automatic mode.  But the difference is that the "P" mode will actually let you override some of the settings.  Given some amount of light... you can either take a short exposrue with the camera allowing a lot of light thorugh the lens (but only very briefly) -OR- you can take a longer exposure duration... but with the camera only allowing a small amount of light through the lens.  Ultimately the same total of amout of light is collected and you might think these would result in identical images.  But it turns out "fast" images tend to freeze action, but have a shallow "depth of field" (this is the range of distances at which things will appear to be more or less acceptably focused.)  When the camera uses a smaller aperture opening (to allow in less light) the depth of field grows dramatically -- so LOTS of stuff is in focus (great for landscape photos)... but since the shutter needs to be open longer, it's not good for freezing action (and you may even need a tripod if the exposure time is long enough.)  

That last paragraph is meant to say that the creative result of the image captured by the camera will actually be different.  This si THE REASON why photographers want to learn how to leave full "automatic" mode and learn to control those parts of the exposure that alter the creative results.

If I take a photo of a waterfall, I might want to put the camera on a tripod and use a setting which allows me to use a very long shutter duration so the motion of the water is blurred (but everything else is tack-sharp.)  This creates those gorgeous milky / dreamy looking waterfalls.  If I want to freeze action -- say... birds in flight -- then I'll use a much faster shutter speed so that my bird isn't blurred.  This is what I mean by "creative" results.  Full auto mode wont ask you to make these choices.  It'll just pick a "middle of the road" safe exposure.

The easiest mode on the dial is the fully automatic green "A+" position.  But it wont let you change much of anything.

The next step toward taking control is the Program mode ("P" on the mode dial) which will let you override settings (and it will let you override things even to the point of ruining the shot -- but you do have to deliberately override the camera's exposure advice and this is not likely to happen by accident.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tom
I hope not a bother, but, when I am on, green A+, my LCD is set for auto off, unable to turn it on. Is this normal?.
I would prefer to fuse the LED screen.
I am dyslexic and illiterate, with the computer 10 years ago, I use the Dragon NaturallySpeaking for communication, the computer has taught me, my reading skills are fifth or sixth grade, but very very very slowly. Any help would be appreciated.
Dan

"...  I am on, green A+ ..."

I am not Tom (Tim?) but when you use the green square with the A+ in it, your camera is virtually a point & shoot.  That was your original question and although you recieved several replies, the green square is the correct answer. Smiley Happy

It will offer few if any items for you to change.  There may be an adjustable setting for the LCD monitor for how long it stays on in the menu.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements