cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS can not connect

Ira-Denise
Apprentice
I have a t2i - i just downloaded the software to use my laptop as a external monitor. It keeps saying it can’t connect. I keep trying to find a solution but everyone keeps saying to just make sure WiFi is turned off but my camera is so old it doesn’t have that option to have WiFi. Please help!!
12 REPLIES 12

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum. Smiley Happy

We need to know a lot more.  For example:

Have you read the manual for your camera?

What kind of computer are you trying to connect to?

Which OS (Mac or Windows) and what realease .  

Which interface cable are you using USB, HDMI etc?

Are you using the cable that came with the camera or a 3rd party unit.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Ira-Denise
Apprentice
Hi!! Oh my apologies! But Yes I did read the manual, I have a MacBook Pro, it’s the MacOS Catalina 10.15.2, I’m using a 3rd part USB (I lost mine so I tried a whole bunch of diff ones to see if it was a cable issue)
I tried using digital photo professional 4.11.1 for Mac under EOS Rebel t2i and i kept getting “EOS not ready” but then on YouTube I was told to try the EOS utility 3.11.1 for Mac or the digital photo professional 4.11.1 under EOS 5DS R but I kept getting it couldn’t connect to my camera.

@Ira-Denise wrote:
Hi!! Oh my apologies! But Yes I did read the manual, I have a MacBook Pro, it’s the MacOS Catalina 10.15.2, I’m using a 3rd part USB (I lost mine so I tried a whole bunch of diff ones to see if it was a cable issue)
I tried using digital photo professional 4.11.1 for Mac under EOS Rebel t2i and i kept getting “EOS not ready” but then on YouTube I was told to try the EOS utility 3.11.1 for Mac or the digital photo professional 4.11.1 under EOS 5DS R but I kept getting it couldn’t connect to my camera.

Thanks for that information - it will help significantly.   I am a Windows user, so I cannot give advice to you, but there are Mac users on the forum who should pick up on this thread and hopefully advise you.   I have a the EOS 500D (one version earlier to yours), and using the current EOS Utility and a USB cable I had no issues connecting to my PC and controlling the functions of the camera - but as I said, that is for Windows.

Keep an eye on the thread and someone should get back to you.

Good luck!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Have you tried not running the Canon software and plugging it is? Usually, image capture or Photos just pop up.

3 things to try:

Run image capture and then plug in the camera.

Try a new USB cable - some are chaging cables and provide no signal.

Just take the card out of the camera and plug it in the SD card slot.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Just take the card out of the camera and plug it in the SD card slot.

The OP wants to use the computer as an external monitor.  I took it from the post that the purpose is to be able to control the shooting process from the computer software.

cheers, TREVOR

THis may be the problem (from a post on DPReview)

"FYI from a Phase One employee over on their forum:

"The root cause of this issue is that Apple has changed the requirements for applications that want to access a PTP-connected capture device. This cannot be resolved by user-side trouble-shooting. We are working on an update that will be compatible with macOS 10.15.2. Until this is released, please do not update to 10.15.2.""

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

any idea if canon is working on updating their utility? It's a pain using a physical card transfer compared to the utility transfer where it automatically transferred to dated folders.

@georgeinnj wrote:

any idea if canon is working on updating their utility? It's a pain using a physical card transfer compared to the utility transfer where it automatically transferred to dated folders.

REALLY????   By the time one activates the tethering software, connects the cable (this camera doesn't have WiFi), and initiates the transfer I can put the card in my high-speed reader, create a folder on my computer, select all files from the card and plonk them in there - and I don't use camera battery power to do so.  In fact, with the aid of a batch file, I can do the whole thing in one click (apart from placing the card).

cheers, TREVOR

yes, really.. I had the computer and utility set up so that I had to only plug the camera into a preset usb cable and turn on the camera. The utility would then automatically open and I only had to click on the copy/import button. The utility was configured to automatically transfer the files to a particular directory and create sub directories based on date when the pictures were taken.

Announcements