cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T8i camera isn’t turning on.

JJunior
Contributor

I have watched several youtube videos nothing has solved the problem, recently got a SD card for it and a new battery. It is still not turning on.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Well here's a few questions to get things started.

*Is the new battery an OE Canon or a third party replacement?

*What exact brand and model is the new SD card? Is it a micro SD card that requires an adapter to use in your camera? Where did you purchase the card?

*Do you have any non-Canon accessories attached to the camera? Flash, tele-extender, battery grip, etc.?

*Has the camera or lens been recently dropped, bumped or exposed to water or high humidity? Did you buy the camera new or used?

That should get the ball rolling before someone else wants to make any suggestions.

View solution in original post

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Never heard of "artman" batteries before. Most folks here are going to recommend using only Canon batteries, especially in the more Pro model cameras. Though others have had good service from Watson or Wasabi batteries. I've had good luck with Wasabis in my 60D. But there are a lot of flakey third party batteries out there on Amazon and Ebay. If the batery and charger kit seemed to be suspiciously cheap I'd steer clear of them. Do you have access to any genuine Canon batteries you can try, maybe borrow from fellow photographer?

The T8i manual shows that any SDXC card should be compatible. But the really high capacity cards, like 128gb, can sometimes be troublesome. Maybe try to use or borrow a 16gb or 32gb card if you have one available. Avoid micro SD cards that require an adapter.

What exactly came off the lens when it fell? The lens cap, a filter, the front lens element? Do you have another lens you can mount to your camera? Was it a Canon lens? Dropping the camera and/or lens is probably the biggest concern.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

BurnUnit has given good advice.  It's best to use canon brand batteries in your camera.  Many 3rd party batteries lack the safety features and do not always perform to the cameras requirements or specifications.  You should only purchase gear and accessories form authorized  Canon dealers.   Example: from Canon directly, B&H photo, Adorama or BestBuy.  Avoid Amazon marketplace, eBay or shady websites offering "good deals".  These aren't deals, and are often low quality items.  While Amazon itself is a authorized dealer, many of the sellers in its marketplace are not.  There is a lot of counterfeit gear out there.  Using these products can actually damage your camera.  Artman does not make quality products.  Its not worth it.  Enough said on that.  

Start by replacing your battery with one of known good quality.  Then re-test.  You also said the camera was dropped or fell.   There might be another issue.  Start with the battery.  If that doesn't help, there is likely other damage Canon will need to address.

Battery LP-E17

The brand and model of the memory card you selected is fine, as long as you got it from a reliable source.  

I would also suggest that you spend some time becoming more familiar with your camera 

Canon EOS T8i 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

JJunior,

I have a T8i, and to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't use a "wired battery".

If your camera won't turn on, but it is overheating, I think you have bigger problems than a new card.

If it fell, and you haven't been able to turn it on since, I think it's going to need to be repaired.

Steve Thomas

13 REPLIES 13

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Well here's a few questions to get things started.

*Is the new battery an OE Canon or a third party replacement?

*What exact brand and model is the new SD card? Is it a micro SD card that requires an adapter to use in your camera? Where did you purchase the card?

*Do you have any non-Canon accessories attached to the camera? Flash, tele-extender, battery grip, etc.?

*Has the camera or lens been recently dropped, bumped or exposed to water or high humidity? Did you buy the camera new or used?

That should get the ball rolling before someone else wants to make any suggestions.

IMG_3087.jpeg

 Both was bought from amazon, recently it had fell and the protector lens came out so I put them back in and since the, camera hasn’t power on.

IMG_3086.jpeg

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Never heard of "artman" batteries before. Most folks here are going to recommend using only Canon batteries, especially in the more Pro model cameras. Though others have had good service from Watson or Wasabi batteries. I've had good luck with Wasabis in my 60D. But there are a lot of flakey third party batteries out there on Amazon and Ebay. If the batery and charger kit seemed to be suspiciously cheap I'd steer clear of them. Do you have access to any genuine Canon batteries you can try, maybe borrow from fellow photographer?

The T8i manual shows that any SDXC card should be compatible. But the really high capacity cards, like 128gb, can sometimes be troublesome. Maybe try to use or borrow a 16gb or 32gb card if you have one available. Avoid micro SD cards that require an adapter.

What exactly came off the lens when it fell? The lens cap, a filter, the front lens element? Do you have another lens you can mount to your camera? Was it a Canon lens? Dropping the camera and/or lens is probably the biggest concern.

I think it is call a protection lens, I'm not so much familiar, with cameras, what type of battery of the cannons I should get and can you recommend a good SD card.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

BurnUnit has given good advice.  It's best to use canon brand batteries in your camera.  Many 3rd party batteries lack the safety features and do not always perform to the cameras requirements or specifications.  You should only purchase gear and accessories form authorized  Canon dealers.   Example: from Canon directly, B&H photo, Adorama or BestBuy.  Avoid Amazon marketplace, eBay or shady websites offering "good deals".  These aren't deals, and are often low quality items.  While Amazon itself is a authorized dealer, many of the sellers in its marketplace are not.  There is a lot of counterfeit gear out there.  Using these products can actually damage your camera.  Artman does not make quality products.  Its not worth it.  Enough said on that.  

Start by replacing your battery with one of known good quality.  Then re-test.  You also said the camera was dropped or fell.   There might be another issue.  Start with the battery.  If that doesn't help, there is likely other damage Canon will need to address.

Battery LP-E17

The brand and model of the memory card you selected is fine, as long as you got it from a reliable source.  

I would also suggest that you spend some time becoming more familiar with your camera 

Canon EOS T8i 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Don't know where you live, but by any chance are than any camera shops in your area that have a good used battery or memory card you could temporarily use to test out in your T8i? Do you know anyone else that uses similar Canon gear that might loan you a working battery or SD card? Or possibly a different lens.

Considering that your camera and lens may have been knocked around a bit I wouldn't be too anxious to throw much money at a new battery and memory card. It sounds like maybe you only damaged a protective U/V filter on the front of the lens. Hopefully that's the case. Leave it off the lens for now until you can verify that the lens itself is still OK. I'm guessing from your responses that you don't have another lens to mount on your body?

I already put the lens back in place tried using a different lens didn’t work, currently, we are gonna get a new battery for it that is a wired one, because the camera is used for zoom meeting, for the church. So, we are gonna figure out if it is the Camera or the battery, my dad thinks it is the on off switch fuse that was blown, because the camera is overheating. I have a best buy nearby, but my uncle said they don't service it there.

JJunior,

I have a T8i, and to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't use a "wired battery".

If your camera won't turn on, but it is overheating, I think you have bigger problems than a new card.

If it fell, and you haven't been able to turn it on since, I think it's going to need to be repaired.

Steve Thomas

Announcements