cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 video automatically stops after a few seconds

jtoscan
Apprentice

I just purchased the Canon EOS Rebel T7 and, when attempting to shoot video, it automatically stops after only a few seconds, in the range of 5 to 10 seconds.

I have read the manual about the potential for overheating to cause it to shut down but this quick cutoff renders it useless for video. I am not using it under any extreme conditions. It's simply in my home and on a tripod. I turned off the Image Stabilizer on the lens as well as autofocus. I have also turned off live shooting, but none of these settings have had much of a material effect, if any, apart from it seems to video for about 2 seconds longer.

Are there any suggestions as to what may be the cause? 

P.S. The manual suggests there is a little thermometer icon that can show white or red. I do not see that. Instead, in the same location as where the thermometer icon will supposedly be, I see a series of 5 stacked circles that can become solid white or red. I assume this is the same indicator -- overheat, and it is often the case that it only fills in two white ones before shutting off.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

What kind of SD Card are you using. Are you using a Full sized SD Card or a Micro SD Card in an adapter. Stick with 32GB (SDHC) full sized class 10 SD Cards. Rebel series cameras such as yours have problems with 64GB (SDXC) SD Cards or bigger. So if you're using a large capacity card I would discontinue the use of them. Also discontinue the use of Micro SD Cards in an adapter if you're using them. Canon designed the camera for use with full sized SD Cards. If the camera was designed for Micro SD Cards it would use them directly. Not by using an adapter to use the SD Card in the camera.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

What kind of SD Card are you using. Are you using a Full sized SD Card or a Micro SD Card in an adapter. Stick with 32GB (SDHC) full sized class 10 SD Cards. Rebel series cameras such as yours have problems with 64GB (SDXC) SD Cards or bigger. So if you're using a large capacity card I would discontinue the use of them. Also discontinue the use of Micro SD Cards in an adapter if you're using them. Canon designed the camera for use with full sized SD Cards. If the camera was designed for Micro SD Cards it would use them directly. Not by using an adapter to use the SD Card in the camera.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

jtoscan
Apprentice

Thanks -- to be honest -- I didn't have a new card so I "borrowed" the 4GB SDHC from our Canon Powershot and that seemed to be the issue. Following your advice, I bought a new card that I formatted in the camera and it seems to work fine now.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements