cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 Orientation of Embedded JPEG in CR2 Raw Image

GHPorter
Contributor

I have an EOS Rebel T7, and I have noticed that by default the orientation of the JPEG embedded in my CR2 raw images is not consistent with the raw image itself.  So far I’ve only noticed this when my camera is set to auto-rotate new images, but I haven’t looked at images that are not auto-rotated.

Is there a menu selection on the T7 that lets the photographer control the embedded JPEG’s orientation?  If not, is there some other way to make the JPEG match the raw image?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GHPorter
Contributor

Having looked through a lot of my RAW images, it appears that the embedded JPEG image is always oriented the same way as the main image.  However rotating the main image using either DPP4 or RawTherapee, the JPEG is not rotated.  I don’t know if the file format allows editing the orientation of the JPEG, though it looks like rotating the main image is pretty simple.

I would like Canon’s software people to pay attention to this.  Adobe’s DNG tools, such as Lightroom, do allow changing details of the embedded preview JPEG image.  Adding that ability to their own software, and manipulating their own file format data, would at least keep many people from immediately jumping to Adobe products and ignoring Canon’s.

I’m going to call “my issue” solved, since it’s almost certainly simply a matter of me not recalling which images I had already rotated.  Frankly, DPP did make figuring this out much easier, since the thumbnail browser marks edited images as having been edited.  However I do very little actual editing with DPP because of its limitations compared to RawTherapee.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know of any setting like that, at least on the Canon cameras that I own. Sounds like you need to turn auto rotation off.

Peter
Authority
Authority

Do you have an affected raw file to share? What raw converter are you using?

GHPorter
Contributor

I don’t have a picture handy; I’m using a tablet at the moment, but I’ll find one and post it soon.  I use DPP as well as RawTherapee to process my raw images.

The issue is that my computers (primarily Macs) can pull the JPEG for a thumbnail in a directory display, but since the JPEG may not be oriented the same as the raw image - and I may have multiple, similar images that were taken in various orientations - the thumbnail display makes it hard to determine which exposure I’m looking at.  This is much more challenging when the image is a scan of a negative.

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@GHPorter wrote:

"Is there a menu selection on the T7 that lets the photographer control the embedded JPEG’s orientation?  If not, is there some other way to make the JPEG match the raw image?"

No. That info (orientation) is passed to whatever viewer/editor you are using via EXIF metadata that is stored in your file or a sidecar file that accompanies the original file. If your viewer/editor can not read that data properly, it will not know the proper orientation.

My best guess is that whatever you are using as a viewer isn't able to read the EXIF metadata properly or your editor isn't writing EXIF to your file. As 5DIV mentioned, Auto Rotate may be messing with your viewer/editor 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

GHPorter
Contributor

I think I need to clarify that the MAIN image is correctly oriented.  It’s only the embedded JPEG that is not correct.

I’m doing a lot of negative and slide scanning, and both my film carrier and slide holder present all images as “landscape,” even if they were photographed in portrait orientation.  Generally, autorotate does a good job with these, but it seems that the JPEG version in the raw file isn’t touched by autorotate, or by manually rotating the main image.  It is this specifically that I’m asking about.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

GHPorter,

One other question. Please tell us more about your image settings.  Are you capturing RAW+JPG, RAW only..  and are you shooting in 3:2 aspect?  I agree with others, the rendering issue is likely in the viewer.  Are any special aspect ratios being specified?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

GHPorter
Contributor

I’m using raw only in the default aspect ratio, which I think is 3:2.  I think the “viewer is the problem” is probably the most probable issue, but it seems that any viewer that isn’t natively pulling the main image has this problem.

I wonder if there are apps that let one change the orientation of a JPEG embedded in a CR2 raw file.  Google hasn’t helped with this; all I get is suggestions for apps that simply read the raw image.  I’m not sure, but I think this may be an example of why serious researchers need search consultants to determine the best search term.  Or that Google just ignores terms that don’t help it display ad content/search results…

Anonymous
Not applicable

What if you shoot in RAW and JPG, is the JPG file the correct orientation? If so, would that solve your issue?

GHPorter
Contributor

I haven’t looked at that.  I’ve been using RAW only because (with my previous EOS Rebel XTi anyway) I had storage space issues.  I will look at that later today.

Announcements