cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T5 Replacement Turns on but the screen doesn’t work

Hispanichick06
Apprentice

Hi I have a question. We were gifted a Camera before we moved across the country a year ago. It's been packed away and honestly forgotten about until I found the box it was packed in and took it put. The camera is fully charged but it doesn't work. We registered the camera online and we saw we can send it in to fix it. But is this true if we aren't the original owner of it? And we were told it would only cost $120. Is this realistic or should we just junk it and buy a new camera?

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

We can help and advise, but we do need to know the model of the camera, and what the problem with it is??

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Sorry I didn’t mention before it is a EOS Rebel T5. It turns on but the screen doesn’t work and when I take a photo I hear the shutter go off however when I take the memory card out there isn’t a photo on it.

Thanks for the clarification.

Let's consider the first issue, that of the display...

If you turn the camera on, can you please then press the DISP button and check to see if the LCD screen on the rear shows anything.  You may need to repeat that a couple of times. 

As to the second issue.  I would suggest checking that the SD card is functional.  To do so insert it into a card reader in a computer and see if the file manager shows it as a drive.  If it does, then try to format it.

If you can let us know how those both work out please.  If neither of those is successful, then I strongly support Rick's opinion about getting a new camera, if you are inclined to do so.  Canon have a trade-in system that might get you a discount on a new body.

BTW, if you don't have it, here is a link to download the manual for this camera.

eos-rebelt5-1200d-im3-en.pdf (c-wss.com)

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

The T5 is really not worth repairing.  If you don't wish to spend a lot of money, you can buy something used from B&H or KEH.

If budget allows, a better option might be a refurbished camera directly from Canon.

If you own lenses for this body, this should be considered. If you only own one lens, (then the best option) might be starting over and buying a mirrorless body and RF lens.  I'm thinking long-term.  DSLR bodies are done.  Mirrorless bodies are more affordable than you might think, and will out perform the t5 at every corner and turn.

Tell us more about your existing kit, the type of photography you do most (or want to do) and what budget you have to operate with?

There are multiple ways to tackle this, maybe we can help point you in the right direction.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements