cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3i When I look through the view finder I noticed dark blue coloring in the corners

lcparker
Contributor
When I look through the view finder I noticed dark blue coloring in the corners.  Do you know the cause and fix?  The camera is a EOS Rebel 3ti.

33FD1B04-A8D9-4D6C-8E53-EA7AC797F71B.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi.  Are you using this lens with a lens hood, and if so what exact model is it?  To me, it looks like you have vignetting from the lens hood, which is surprising for using a telephoto lens.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Canon zoom lens ef 100-400mm 1:4.5-5.6 L IS

OK, so if there is no mention of a MkII in the text your referred to, this looks like the MkI version in which case the correct hood is the Canon ET-83C Lens Hood.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The OP said that they were NOT using a lens hood. There are other issues going on then.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Oops, I can't see that post about no lens hood (frustrating, as we have discussed before!).   

That IS puzzling, given that an APS-C sensor camera is not using the whole of the projected image to begin with.  I found this check of vignetting when using such a sensor and it shows no issues:
Canon EF 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM review - Vignetting - LensTip.com

I cannot find any references to this occurring after doing a web search.  I think it might be prudent to see if the vignetting occurs with a different body - just to rule that out, even if it's not likely.

@LCPARKER:  Can you advise what focal lengths this occurs in, and also what apertures you are using at the time please?

cheers, TREVOR

Could misaligned lens elements cause a problem with vignetting. For instance if the lens were dropped or something traumatic to the lens happened. But it also sounds strange how a FF lens would cause vignetting like. That shouldn't happen at all.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Hi Demetrius:
I absolutely concur.  I have owned both versions of the 100-400 and still have the MkII version, with no vignetting happening.  It does seem like an optical issue.   I would recommend referring to Canon Tech support 1-800-OK-CANON and have a chat to them.  I am not sure if the MkI is still supported at this stage, it's an old lens, but it's worth a try.

cheers, TREVOR

Does this lens say USM on it. I cannot find a non-USM model for that lens in Canon's lens library/ catalog.

-Demetrius

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

-Demetrius

They are both USM lenses Demetrius. 

The MkI version: https://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/lenses/canon_100-400_4p5-5p6_is 
The MkII version: https://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/lenses/canon_100-400_4p5-5p6_ii 

cheers, TREVOR

I got it now. Some MK I versions of lenses have both a USM and a non-USM variant. I'll look into dpreview for lenses in addition to Canon.

-Demetrius

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

-Demetrius

As Demetrius said, there are two versions of the EF 100-400 L lens.  The MkI is easily recognized because it has a push-pull mechanism to focus, while the MkII requires one to rotate it.  So which one are you using and if you look at the Lens hood, what does it say on the hood - there should be a model number printed on the outside of it.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements