cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T2i Photos on SD card don't all show up on computer, OK on camera

CanonShot
Apprentice

I took a number of photos with my T2i today. While the card is in the camera, I am able to scroll through and see all of the photos I took. When I put the card into my computer, only the first 5 or 6 photos show up in the folder. I took a few more photos to see if they showed up. The thumbnails in the folder skip about 40 numbers and then show up again, but all missing pics are visible when the card is in the camera. Any ideas on this vanishing act?

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would try another card reader and cable to the computer. Is your SD card a full size or a mini with an adaptor? You should always use a full-size SD card.

It's a full size SD card and I have the same result connecting a cable from the camera to the computer..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are there any other folders on the card that might contain the missing photos? Are you using Windows Explorer (if a Windows computer) to try to view the contents of the SD card?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would suggest not only a new SD reader but try a totally different computer. I would also recommend you do this on a Windows machine. Not on a Mac. If you can see the photos in camera they almost have to be there. If you still cannot see them all the major brand SD cards makers have recovery software. Just log on to their web site. Some of them are free but some are not,

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Why state avoiding Macs? Zero issues at all with SD cards on Macs using either built-in, or external card readers.  Apple's Disk Utility can also format SD cards (e.g EX-FAT) without issue.

Either OS will be a-ok.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I have a Canon T7 and tried the cable and card reader. Does your computer, maybe a laptop, have a card slot? I now download directly from the card to the laptop. Eliminates any hiccups that can occur.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

CanonShot
Apprentice

Windows laptop. Looked in all folders. The first few pics show up in the folder, 40 image numbers are skipped and then they show up again at the 41rst.

Not sure what you mean by downloading directly from the card, but I've tried the laptop card slot and a cable from the camera to laptop USB port. No difference between the two.

I think he may have been suggesting that you try an external card reader connected to your laptop's USB port. Or connected to your desktop PC or someone else's PC.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Why state avoiding Macs?"

Ricky,

I have nothing against Mac's or Apple. I have in fact an iPhone and iPad. Love'em! I even went to the Apple store first when my recent computer went south after 6 years. But once again I was turned off by the price. Twice the machine at almost half the price for a PC makes buying a Mac problematic to me. Thus I have little experience with a Mac and I don't tend to recommend what I don't know. I do know that Windows formats an SD that works perfectly in a Canon camera. Windows reads the SD from a Canon camera perfectly. I know there were some issues with some of the earlier OS in a Mac and formatting the SD for use in a Canon camera and it wasn't recommended by most people.. Perhaps its fixed but until I know that for a fact I can't recommend anyone using one to format or check a SD card. If it works that's great.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements