cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T1i & EOS 5DS Lens Compatibility

coryart
Apprentice

I have a Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1 MP that quit working. Could I use the lens from that camera on the body of a Canon EOS 5DS 50.6MP?    (even if I could get my Rebel T1i working, I still need higher MP for taking photos of my are to make quality prints)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

If a Canon lens what is the full model name of the lens. If the model starts with EF-S then no it won't physically mount on a Full Frame or EOS 35mm AF SLR. If it says EF then it will mount to your camera. EF lenses were originally designed to cover 35mm film. Which measures 36x24 a Full Frame Digital Image sensor measures the same.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

Its best to look into an EOS R series camera depending on your budget. DSLR cameras have been replaced by EOS R series mirrorless cameras. The EOS M/ EF-M system has been replaced by the APS-C EOS R series cameras. I don't recommend investing in the EOS M/ EF-M system. Its a dead end system and has been virtually replaced. EF-M lenses are NOT compatible with other cameras. Nor can they be adapted to DSLR or the EOS R series via an adapter.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

If a Canon lens what is the full model name of the lens. If the model starts with EF-S then no it won't physically mount on a Full Frame or EOS 35mm AF SLR. If it says EF then it will mount to your camera. EF lenses were originally designed to cover 35mm film. Which measures 36x24 a Full Frame Digital Image sensor measures the same.

-Demetrius

coryart
Apprentice

Darn my lens says EFS

EF-S lenses are designed to protrude into an APS-C camera body. If an EF-S lens could be mounted to Full Frame digital camera or an EOS 35mm AF SLR. The mirror would hit the rear element of the lens causing major damage. 3rd Party APS-C lenses use the Full Frame EF Mount. So these lenses would mount but will cause heavy vignetting. You would have black areas in all 4 corners. It would look like you shot through a pipe. Which would be undesirable and lower megapixels when you crop in. Do you know what kind of lens you need. Also what is your budget for a lens. Full Frame lenses are more expensive than APS-C lenses. Due to the lens needing to provide a large enough image circle to cover the entire image sensor. 

This is what an APS-C lens would do on a Full Frame camera. 3rd Party APS-C lenses use the Full Frame EF Mount. But the lens is designed to project an APS-C image circle (24x16). Only Canon makes EF-S Mount lenses.This is what an APS-C lens would do on a Full Frame camera. 3rd Party APS-C lenses use the Full Frame EF Mount. But the lens is designed to project an APS-C image circle (24x16). Only Canon makes EF-S Mount lenses. 

Canon APS-C has a 1.6x crop factor. When compared to 35mm Film or Full Frame.Canon APS-C has a 1.6x crop factor. When compared to 35mm Film or Full Frame.

-Demetrius

What size prints do you need to create? A Rebel T8i (which could still use your EF-S lenses) could provide 300dpi prints up to 20 inches by 13 inches (or 25 x 16 at 240dpi). 

An EOS R50 would provide the same, though would need an adapter to work with your EF-S lens.

An EOS R7 (also would need a lens adapter) would provide for prints of 23 x 15 in @300 dpi, or 29 x 19 in @240 dpi.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

coryart
Apprentice
  • I do large prints 30x40 in and sometimes bigger, so the 5DS 50.6MP would meet my needs. I was just browsing uses cameras and wondering what my options were with the lens. I will need an original painting sale before I can afford the camera I need. Coryarts.com
  •  

Its best to look into an EOS R series camera depending on your budget. DSLR cameras have been replaced by EOS R series mirrorless cameras. The EOS M/ EF-M system has been replaced by the APS-C EOS R series cameras. I don't recommend investing in the EOS M/ EF-M system. Its a dead end system and has been virtually replaced. EF-M lenses are NOT compatible with other cameras. Nor can they be adapted to DSLR or the EOS R series via an adapter.

-Demetrius

Announcements