cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RP flash sync issues

Crey23
Contributor

Hi all,

I was recently contacted by an IG eos RP user regarding this issue and I tested it out today, and realized I too have this issue in my RP.  I was taking pictures with off camera and on-camera (external) flash, and any image above the 1/180 sync speed you can see the at the top of the image the black banding from the shutter.  I took it to 1/4000, and it was noticable in nearly all but one of my test shots.  I have two cheap speedlights, a Yongnuo YN568 EXII and a Neewer 985C, both have this issue, but it's far more noticable on the neewer.  The IG user who contacted me is using a Godox TT560.

Now, I know these are not canon speedlights...but I never had this issue in 650D/(T4i) while using the speedlights (both cameras max at 1/4000 shutter speed).

Could this be an issue of the t.1 power rating?  But if so, why at equal settings this is not visible in the 650D (T4i)? 

Could the lack of mirror have the sync trhown off?  maybe faster now without the time of the mirror to flip?

Anyone else experiecning this?

lastly, I would not presume that the 1/80 sync speed in the camera would be affecting this correct?

Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

je_oneal
Apprentice

NEW Firmware 1.2.0 for EOS RP

Today Canon finally released firmware 1.2.0, this highly anticipated firmware corrects a phenomenon in which the top of some captured images may be dark during high-speed sync shooting with an external flash.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

"I would not presume that the 1/80 sync speed in the camera would be affecting this correct?"

Why do you think they call it "sync speed"? It appears that mirrorless' makes it a hard limit.

This is why they invented High Speed Sync.

@kvbarkley wrote:

"I would not presume that the 1/80 sync speed in the camera would be affecting this correct?"

Why do you think they call it "sync speed"? It appears that mirrorless' makes it a hard limit.

This is why they invented High Speed Sync.

A sync speed of 1/80?? That makes no sense. I think the last camera I've owned with a sync speed that slow was an Argus C-3.

Or is this just an example of the limitations mirrorless cameras have to endure, given the current state of battery technology? It probably does take more power to fire the shutter at 1/200 instead of 1/80.

Incidentally, even ancient DSLRs like the XTi would ignore the set shutter speed if was above the sync speed and flash was in use. That sometimes resulted in gross overexposure, but at least you didn't see the shutter trying to get out of the way.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

1/80 is a typo, elsewhere he states it as 1/180. Feel better?

@kvbarkley wrote:

1/80 is a typo, elsewhere he states it as 1/180. Feel better?

Ah, you're right. I should have read the original post more carefully.

But even 1/180 is at the slow end, by today's standards.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

diverhank
Authority

There is a problem with the RP high speed sync function...It doesn't happen with all flashes but I know that Godox/Flashpoint has an issue with it - you get the banding near the top in HSS mode.

I personally verified this problem with the Flashpoint Mini Thinklite TTL R2 Flash (Godox TT350 Canon).  I have not verified with other flashes.  It appears to be a problem with Godox/Flashpoint, even though I haven't tested the RP against the Canon flashes...I'll do it tonight.  I don't expect there's a problem otherwise we would have heard about it.

I do think the 1/180 flash sync speed might have something to do with it.  Most other Canon cameras have either 1/200 or 1/250.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

There is a problem with the RP high speed sync function...It doesn't happen with all flashes but I know that Godox/Flashpoint has an issue with it - you get the banding near the top in HSS mode.

I personally verified this problem with the Flashpoint Mini Thinklite TTL R2 Flash (Godox TT350 Canon).  I have not verified with other flashes.  It appears to be a problem with Godox/Flashpoint, even though I haven't tested the RP against the Canon flashes...I'll do it tonight.  I don't expect there's a problem otherwise we would have heard about it.

I do think the 1/180 flash sync speed might have something to do with it.  Most other Canon cameras have either 1/200 or 1/250.

Update:  I verified with the flashes that I have.  Here is the final report:

1. Canon 580EXII, 600EX-RT (v. 1) work fine with the EOS RP - No banding

2. Flashpoint Mini Thinklite TTL R2 Flash (Godox TT350 Canon) - Problem with banding in HSS mode. Fine below 1/180

3. Yongnuo YN600EX-RT (v. 1) - Problem with banding even with latest firmware update 1.9.1.  Fine below 1/180

4. Yongnuo YN968EX-RT - works fine with the EOS RP - No banding

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Crey23
Contributor
Time to upgrade speedlights....

je_oneal
Apprentice

This is a known and verified issue with Canon.  I found out early on that I had this issue and when I contacted Canon USA back in March 2019 they were able to replicate the issue.  Not sure how fast Canon works in getting a firmware fix out to resolve this issue but hopeuflly if enough people complain directly to them it MAY help to put a rush on it since it is a customer service issue if they do not respond in a timely manner. 

It's not a flash issue but a sync speed issue with  the camera itself in HSS mode.  I found that on my EOS RP, suffered from this phenomenon at 1/1250sec and continued to the max HSS.  Of couse Canon USA states, keep your sync speed under 1/1250sec, this is quite obvious if you do not want the band to ruin your photo but for those of us that routinely shoot in HSS it's a problem that will not go away on it's own if left un-resolved...even for a camera that costs $1,299 it should function as advertised. 

The EOS R had a similar issue and it took Canon USA almost a year to relase a firmware update to fix that issue and resolved the face and eye tracking problem that camera was having.  I hope this info helps someone in the forum and if you have not contacted Canon USA, please do so, the more complaints they get the better to move this along.

Happy shooting

Thank you for your posts on this issue. This issue was a deal breaker for me and decided to reluctantly purchase Sony.
Announcements