cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS RP Won't Power On Without Removing Lens and/or Battery

lance0
Apprentice

I own a canon eos rp and just bought a sigma 24-70 f2.8 dg os hsm lens with R-Ef mount adapter. Now i have a problem that i cannot diagnose. The problem is that when the camera is turned off and on a few times the lens somehow stops the camera from turning on but when i just spin off the lens to remove it without removing it and spin it back on the camera turns on immediately. This is also solved when i take the battery out and put it back in. Do it need a firmware update or the lens contact points are at fault because this does not happens with an older 50 mm f1.8 lens the camera works great no lags whatsoever. So plz help me with some suggestions

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Sounds like a lens problem. You might see if Sigma has updated software.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I agree with my colleague - if you want to look at solutions, you need to contact Sigma, not Canon. Like every other camera maker, Canon does not offer support (including firmware) for 3rd party lenses - you purchase them at your own risk.  However, I suspect you will discover that Sigma makes no warranty for the use of their EF lenses on the R-series bodied either - they certainly have said as much for others in their lens lineup.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Did you buy the Sigma lens new?

Is the EF > R adapter Canon brand?

I have this lens, and have used on both a 6D2 and R5 C with a Canon adapter. Focus is a little slow in Cinema mode on the R5 C, (which you don't have) but in stills mode, the lens functions flawlessly.

There is no FW available that addresses function with the RP.  However, v2.03 might help you.  Try turning OS off.  Power the camera on and off.  If this works, I'd try v2.03.  If you live near SF I have a dock. 😉  

Ver.2.04

The firmware will improve the AF performance when used in combination with the SIGMA MOUNT CONVERTER MC-21 EF-L.

Ver.2.03

• When the lens is used in combination with the Canon “EOS R” and their “Mount Adapter EF-EOS R”, or “Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R”, it has corrected the phenomenon whereby restarting the camera does not work when the lens is taken off the camera while the lens’s OS function is in operation.
  • When the lens is used in combination with the Canon “EOS R” and their “Mount Adapter EF-EOS R”, or “Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R”, it has corrected the phenomenon whereby it may stop the focus driving from infinity to closer focus distance while shooting video with AF.
  • When the lens is used in combination with the Canon “EOS R” and their “Mount Adapter EF-EOS R”, or “Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R”, it has corrected the phenomenon whereby it may occasionally show overexposure when narrowing down the aperture from F8 while shooting.

Ver.2.02

It has improved the stability of the image in the viewfinder, making it easier to confirm composition, thanks to the updated control algorithm of the Optical Stabilizer.

Ver.2.01

It has corrected the phenomenon that the continuous shooting speed of some SIGMA interchangeable lenses with firmware Ver.2.00 decreases in certain combinations with some cameras.

Ver.2.00

• It ensures compatibility with Canon’s in-camera Lens Aberration Correction function, which enables correction matching the optical characteristics of the attached lens.*
  • It corrects the phenomenon that abnormal images appear or operation errors occur when Canon’s in-camera Lens Aberration Correction function is enabled.
  • It corrects the phenomenon that exposure during shooting through the viewfinder or Live View mode becomes unstable.

Compatible cameras:
EOS 1D X mark II, EOS 5Ds, EOS 5Ds R, EOS 5D mark IV, EOS 6D mark II, EOS 8000D(EOS Rebel T6s, EOS 760D), EOS 80D, EOS 9000D(EOS 77D), EOS Kiss x9i(EOS Rebel T7i, EOS 800D), EOS Kiss x9(EOS Rebel SL2, EOS 200D), EOS Kiss x8i(EOS Rebel T6i, EOS 750D)

Sigma actually does claim support for their Global Vision Lenses (Contemporary, Art and Sport), but we know this isn't 100% accurate.

shadowsports_0-1684386327528.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements