cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 - camera stuck on Manual Focus; AF-ON button not working

robdsaunders
Apprentice

Newly bought R7, was fine the first few days but today the camera wouldn't autofocus. I quickly realized it was set to MF but have not been able to get it switch to AF. The AF-ON button on the camera does nothing and removing battery, etc does nothing either. Lens is the 24-240 lens designed for this model. Any suggestions appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Have you checked the AF/MF switch on the camera body. It is located to the right of the hand grip when looking at the camera from the front. This switch ONLY applies to lenses WITHOUT an AF/MF on it.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

robdsaunders
Apprentice

Thank you. I didn't see that button, had assumed the AF-ON button on the back of the camera would be the only AF button, I need to more observant! Thank you for the quick reply.

The AF-ON button only activates focus. The AF/MF switch on the front of the camera (or on the lens) locks out AF from working and allows MF to be used. Note ALL RF Mount lenses use electronic focusing rings. The camera must be powered up for the focus ring to work. ALL EF Mount STM, Nano USM lenses and some EF Mount Ring Type USM lenses also use electronic focusing rings. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements