cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 - SERIAL # NOT VALID?!

jjshay
Apprentice
I have a new problem

When trying to sign up and register my camera "EOS R7" which I purchased in the US new at the following online store: Willoughbys. 15-17 West 36th Street, New York, NY 10018. [Additional contact info removed.]

Here is a photo of the camera's serial #

R7.jpeg

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Here is a current list of Authorized Dealers.  5-15-2023 

https://www.usa.canon.com/content/dam/canon-assets/authorized-dealers/canon-ad-5-15-2023.pdf

I didn't see willoughbys camera emporium on the list.  What you purchased from them might have been grey market.  I also noted they do not offer Canon CarePaks with any of their gear.  One of the mods may chime in to confirm.

They don't appear to be an authorized

Spoiler
nikon or sony dealer either.  

If you find they have sold you grey market gear, I'd return it.  <<<

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

what should i do?

@jjshay wrote:

what should i do?

Looking at the image you posted it says "UK CA". I'm guessing it means it was intended for the UK and Canadian market for Commonwealth countries.

Buried in the Willoughby ad is the clue:

Screenshot 2023-06-17 084317.jpg

Somewhat deceptive - obviously all Canon cameras are imported into the US - but that means greymarket. Sometimes it might say "International version".

Canon cameras in the US are price regulated. If you see one for a price lower than what Canon is posting you need to be aware.

Right now Canon is running a sale for $100 off, so only $50 more than you paid.

If you just purchased it (i.e. within return period) contact Willoughby's and tell them you want a US version or else you want to return it. Typically, but not always, sellers who deal in greymarket cameras have two pricings, one for US and one for greymarket.

If they refuse there probably isn't much you can do.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Take a look at the warranty card.  It should have come in the box with your camera. It will look something like this:

(example)

shadowsports_0-1686968429873.png

The older ones are red and white, the new ones are black and white.  Its needs to say Canon USA / Canon Canada...  not Canon Asia, India, Europe, Middle East, etc.  If you don't have a product intended for sale in the US, I'd contact the seller and initiate a return.  

Have you tried entering the serial number again?  All 12 characters.  The "0" 's are zeros.  

If this fails and you are certain you have a US product, contact Canon  1-800-652-2666

Hours are (EST)  

Monday - Friday 9-9pm

Saturdays 9-7pm 

I also recommend a CarePak.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

John, 

shadowsports_1-1687011271501.png

Great sleuthing.  It appears my initial investigation was correct, they are not an authorized dealer and are selling grey market items.  @jjshay, do as John suggested.  Request a replacement product for sale in the US or request a return.  Hope it works out. 

Its important for people to understand why buying grey market is a bad idea.  It's essentially supporting an illegal industry.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/gray-market

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First thing to do is return it. Period.

I never advise folks to buy grey market gear for several reasons. But if return is not possible as some on-line stores do not accept returns and/or make is hopelessly difficult to do. Shipping and insurance cost for instance plus restocking fees and even refunding just a percentage of the purchase price. (<-- some of the reasons)

Bottom line it is the same camera that you would have gotten from a real deal Canon USA retailer.

You simply don't have any support or service form Canon USA which can be a big concern if there are any problems with it. (<-- some of the reasons)

If you bought it with a lens it most certainly the will be grey market too and will suffer the same issue.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

As others stated, it is a grey market item.  It is an authentic Canon product but sold outside of its intended market region thus Canon won't provide any warranty service for it.  I glanced at the store's policy and it is typical, 20% restocking fee on returns plus shipping and handling costs are on you both directions.

Many camera owners are happily using grey market cameras and accessories and have no idea about its status.  At this point, rather than pay a heavy restocking fee I would take the risk on having something break during the fairly short warranty period. The odds are in your favor, I have owned a lot of Canon gear from film through digital and none has ever needed Canon warranty service.  My current gear ranges from a 1D Mark II I bought in 2005 through a pair of 1DX II bodies from 2016 and a pair of 1DX III bodies purchased in the last 18 months.

My doctoral dissertation was on grey markets, leakage between imperfectly sealed market segments, free riding, and the impacts upon the channel.  It is something that has been around for centuries ranging from Cartier jewelry to Cabbage Patch Kids dolls and one of the constants has been most purchasers had no idea that they hadn't purchased through an authorized distribution channel.

I would enjoy the camera and treat this as a possible lesson going forward.  I have a grey market Canon L series lens and a 5DS R body, both bought on purpose when I couldn't get them through an authorized Canon dealer when I needed them.  Both were sold at a slight discount and I would have happily bought through an authorized retailer instead IF they had been available.  But I didn't lose any sleep worrying about product support and both have worked as flawlessly as any other Canon product from that era because they are the same Canon products coming off the same line with the same QC.  The differences with grey market include the loss of warranty, some accessories may be "global" instead of U.S. specific, sometimes initial configuration (i.e. default language).  But the quality is the same.

I see the store also sells their extended warranties so I guess you could consider it but I wouldn't.  Extended warranties are an insurance policy that is intended to provide a clear benefit to the seller and as a risk manager, I prefer to self-insure instead of purchasing an extended warranty. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements