cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 Firmware Update Failing

NYSW3636
Apprentice

Hi - 

Brand new R7, went to update the firmware. Tried with a card, kept getting an error saying the file wasn't on the card. Tried the Utility from the PC, it tried to upload the update. On the camera, opening the firmware update in the settings shows "Update Firmware? 1.1.0 -> 1.2.0 EOSR7120.FIR" and freezes. Camera resumes normal operation when I replace the battery. Any suggestions to get it to update the firmware?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Okay, a little bit embarrassing, but I found the problem: I forgot to check "low level format" when formatting the card before the update.. after I did this, it worked just fine.

Maybe this helps somebody else. 🙂 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Was the "FIR" file placed at the top level on the SD card?  i.e. not within a subfolder?  Was the camera in Program (P) or Manual (M) mode (or whatever the firmware instructions stated)?   Is the battery near or fully charged?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks for the reply. Yes, file in the root, camera in P and the battery was something over 90%. 

Only thing I can think of trying is to save off any existing settings to an SD card (not sure if the R7 allows that), then do a factory reset.  If the problem persists, suggest calling Canon.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi, could resolve the issue? I'm expierencing the exact same thing. Not matter if I try to update via utily/PC or SD-card... brand new camera as well. 

Okay, a little bit embarrassing, but I found the problem: I forgot to check "low level format" when formatting the card before the update.. after I did this, it worked just fine.

Maybe this helps somebody else. 🙂 

My camera is completely new, I still don't have anything to save, I can try a factory reset, if you tell me how to do it.

joliveira29
Contributor

Exactly the same situation but on upgrade from version 1.2.0 (that cames with the camera) to 1.3.1.

And I format my SD cards at low level format.

I don't know what else I can do, I'm truly disappointed with Canon.
I'm starting to regret not considering going to Sony.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you extract the .fir file from the downloaded firmware file from the Canon website and copy only the .fir file to the root directory of your memory card? Put camera in P mode.

joliveira29
Contributor

Yes I Did. 

I downlod the firmware file from Canon website.

Unzip and copy the FIR file to a new fresh SD Card, formated in the EOS R7.

Let the camera in P mode and start the process.

The file FIR is identified, uploaded, but freeze when is necessary clik "Ok" to replace the old version.

Jose

Announcements