cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 Auto Exposure Bracketing and High-Speed Continuous Shooting Together

mrhengy
Contributor

Hi,

I like to do a lot of wildlife photography, about 2/3rds being birds, and I have settled on my preferred settings for my Canon R7, based on my skills, what feels comfortable, and what I feels gives me the best photos.

Except for one thing: Using AEB and High-speed Continuous Shooting (+ or non+) together. I like to bracket, because I find that with fast moving subjects, I can't react fast enough to change exposure compensation manually. I find that a +/- 1 stop both ways gives me the safety I want. High-speed Continuous Shooting should be obvious.

However, when used together, the camera will only shoot 3 frames, and then I have to release the shutter button, and press it again for another 3 frames. (AEB is set to 3 frames). Now, most of the time this is fine - it gives me time to recompose, track my subject, etc. But every now and again, I'd like to just hold the shutter and roll off more than 3 frames. I have been up and down the camera menu and manual, and I can't find a setting to change this behavior.

Does anyone know of a way to change this?

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I do not understand what it is you’re trying to achieve.  The two settings are pretty much mutually exclusive.  One is typically used with still subjects using One Shot AF mode and Single Shot Drive shooting mode, while the other is typically used with AI Servo AF mode and Continuous Drive shooting mode.  

You cannot really use exposure bracketing during action photography.  The image is constantly changing, so each successive shot will be different from the previous shot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I do not use AEB to do HDR, and do not do fast action shots. Birds typically stay still for long enough that 3, 6 or even sometimes 9 frames are almost indistinguishable (subject wise). Therefore, I find AEB to be of benefit, so that I may choose the one with the exposure I like.

Maybe do not think of my intended use, only that I want to use High-speed Continuous Shooting and AEB at the same time, and would like the camera to NOT stop after 3 frames. I want to shoot the bracketed sequence for as long as the camera is able, without having to release and press the shutter button after every 3 frames. If there a way?

Thank you.

I do not think you understand what you’re being told.  Your intended use has nothing to do with the two functions being mutually exclusive.

Try using the 2-second shutter delay timer, instead of continuous shooting while you have AEB enabled.  The camera should automatically fire the entire sequence at the highest available frame rate.

@mrhengy wrote:

I do not use AEB to do HDR, and do not do fast action shots. Birds typically stay still for long enough that 3, 6 or even sometimes 9 frames are almost indistinguishable (subject wise). Therefore, I find AEB to be of benefit, so that I may choose the one with the exposure I like.

Maybe do not think of my intended use, only that I want to use High-speed Continuous Shooting and AEB at the same time, and would like the camera to NOT stop after 3 frames. I want to shoot the bracketed sequence for as long as the camera is able, without having to release and press the shutter button after every 3 frames. If there a way?

Thank you.

Except for one thing: Using AEB and High-speed Continuous Shooting (+ or non+) together. I like to bracket, because I find that with fast moving subjects, I can't react fast enough to change exposure compensation manually.

Your goal posts are moving, BTW.

Your focusing on what you think I should be doing given my subjects.

I want to use AEB in HS continuous shooting mode for as many frames as the camera is capable of without having to release and press the shutter ever 3 frames. Simple as that. Forget every other one of my posts.

Is there a way to do that. Yes or no?

@mrhengy wrote:

Your focusing on what you think I should be doing given my subjects.

I want to use AEB in HS continuous shooting mode for as many frames as the camera is capable of without having to release and press the shutter ever 3 frames. Simple as that. Forget every other one of my posts.

Is there a way to do that. Yes or no?

No.  No camera made by any manufacturer allows that behavior.  Try using the two second timer like I suggested.

BTW, I am only going by what you write.  You made it clear that you wished to use these features on “fast moving subjects.”  Like is said, your intended use is irrelevant.  The two features and mutually exclusively   You get one or the other.

I have exactly the same need as this gentleman.  I am not shooting birds. I am shooting the solar corona during the upcoming total eclipse of April 8, 2024.  The sun's inner and outer corona's are very different in brightness.  I need to bracket 5 exposures every time I shoot to maximize detail.  I will combine these later into a HDR image. But I want to do this all though the 4 minutes of totality. I'd like to shoot a bracketed sequence one every second or two. Haven't figured out how, yet. Maybe I should use digicamcontrol...

dduncan,

I have a T8i. I tested this out this afternoon. My camera will only take three bracketed shots: one underexposed, one overexposed, and one regular; each shot, one or two or three stops or whatever under or over exposed.

If I set up the bracketing sequence, and then go into my shooting mode and select the continuous mode (it's the one on the extreme right marked with the letter "C"), I can  choose to take 2 sets or 3 sets or 4 sets of bracketed shots. You can go all the way up to 10 sets, for a total of 30 shots.

There is a 10 second delay before the shooting starts, but there is no delay between each set of 3 bracketed shots. You can't pause it for 1 or 2 seconds between set as you were asking for.

But, I did have a thought. I did not test this, so I don't know if it will work...

Could you do a time-lapse movie of bracketed shots instead of single shots?

If you are able to take bracketed shots, you'd have allow enough time between each set for the camera to process those.

I know there are software programs out there that will convert videos to individual jpgs. They extract each frame.

Of course, if you're shooting at 30 frames per second X the 4 minutes of shooting, you're looking at 7,200 frames. If you set up a 10 second interval between each set, you're looking at 720 individual frames.

M8ght that work?

Steve Thomas

dduncan833,

Another option...

My camera has a Special Scene Mode called HDR Backlight Control.

It takes a series of 3 shots and merges them into a single image. If you combine that with an intervalometer, and take a series of shots every 10 seconds or so, that might work.

Steve Thomas

Announcements