cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6m2 depletes battery when in camera and turned off.

torchy
Apprentice

Can you help?

My Canon R6m2 with a genuine LP-E6NH battery will deplete its energy by 50%, in the camera whilst switched off for 9 hours. Is this normal? Is it because the Wifi and Bluetooth are running in the background? Or is my camera faulty?

Taking the battery out causes no issues and battery power is maintained.

Surely I don't need to take the battery out each time it's not in use, or disconnect the WiFi and Bluetooth?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

This is correct behavior.  Mainly refer to page 722 of the User Manual which discusses that the camera maintains a WiFi connection even when off.

Page 718 also mentions this:

"Bluetooth connection consumes battery power even after the camera's auto power off is activated."

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

Page 722 mentions that you can turn airplane mode on and/or to disable bluetooth.  That should retain your settings and allow reconnection to your device when re-enabled. Pages 723 to 724 mention how to unpair a device which would then clear your settings for that device.

--
Ricky

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If you have any accessories other than a lens and memory card attached / installed on the camera remove them.  

Disable the wifi and bluetooth.  Test the results.

We normally recommend resetting the camera settings to defaults both main and custom options.  I'd try the above, then this.  Let us know what you find.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

This is correct behavior.  Mainly refer to page 722 of the User Manual which discusses that the camera maintains a WiFi connection even when off.

Page 718 also mentions this:

"Bluetooth connection consumes battery power even after the camera's auto power off is activated."

--
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

I did think this was the case. Thank you so much for your response.

Once I switch the WiFi and Bluetooth back on, will it automatically establish itself, without me having to insert the settings once more?

Thanks

Nick

Page 722 mentions that you can turn airplane mode on and/or to disable bluetooth.  That should retain your settings and allow reconnection to your device when re-enabled. Pages 723 to 724 mention how to unpair a device which would then clear your settings for that device.

--
Ricky

torchy
Apprentice

Thank you everyone for your comments/solutions to the problem I was having. Much appreciated.
Yes, I should have read the manual from cover to cover.

Announcements