cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 - RAW Images are showing up as Jpegs on my hard drive-no I do not shoot in jpeg

ashleemassey
Contributor

Hi! I have a Canon EOS R6. I shoot in RAW (only, no jpeg). When I plug my SD reader/SD Card into my MacBook Air and open the photos app, it shows that the images are RAW. But when I drag them to a folder in my external hard drive, it shows up as a jpeg on my hard drive. I didn’t catch this before I edited photos and have sent off 3 galleries. I edit my photos in light room classic. Will my clients have a hard time blowing up photos? Do I need to completely re edit all of the photos? I’m panicking! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“  I opened the photos app in my MacBook to import the photos. Maybe I need to use a different app to import them to? 

The act of importing the images into the Photos app is probably the entire problem.  You should copy the files from the memory card to your external drive.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

thank you so much for responding and taking the time to offer advice! 

I finally found the problem! 

I shoot in RAW only. When I was importing to my MacBook, I was doing so in the apple photos app, which seemed to be changing them to JPEGS. However, when I opened them in the finder app in my laptop and transferred to my external hard drive from there, they stayed as CR3 files! Hooray!

Ashlee,

I'm so happy you found the answer.

I hope you have many happy hours in your photography future.

Steve Thomas

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi,

What version of MAC OS are you running.  Version and build?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“  I opened the photos app in my MacBook to import the photos. Maybe I need to use a different app to import them to? 

The act of importing the images into the Photos app is probably the entire problem.  You should copy the files from the memory card to your external drive.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements