cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 - RAW Images are showing up as Jpegs on my hard drive-no I do not shoot in jpeg

ashleemassey
Contributor

Hi! I have a Canon EOS R6. I shoot in RAW (only, no jpeg). When I plug my SD reader/SD Card into my MacBook Air and open the photos app, it shows that the images are RAW. But when I drag them to a folder in my external hard drive, it shows up as a jpeg on my hard drive. I didn’t catch this before I edited photos and have sent off 3 galleries. I edit my photos in light room classic. Will my clients have a hard time blowing up photos? Do I need to completely re edit all of the photos? I’m panicking! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“  I opened the photos app in my MacBook to import the photos. Maybe I need to use a different app to import them to? 

The act of importing the images into the Photos app is probably the entire problem.  You should copy the files from the memory card to your external drive.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

ashleemassey,

A couple of questions...

1) Are the file sizes different? Do the file sizes change, or just the file extensions?

2) Does the same thing happen if you save the file to the internal hard drive on your computer?

3) Is it possible that the act of "dragging" the file causes it to be re-named in the process?

Steve Thomas

image.jpg

image.jpg

EAB6352C-ABF0-4B2E-8CC0-73D273D0BA5A.jpeg

 so the last photo is what I am seeing. They say “Raw” when I import them into the photos app on my MacBook, but once dragged they have the JPEG extension. I also included a picture of MB of each photo. I am super new to photography, so I definitely could be doing this all wrong! 

ashleemassey,

You'll have to forgive me, I don't know anything about R6's or MacBook, so I'm flying kind of blind here, but 22 and 23 megabyte jpg's seem kind of high.

That seems sort of like a compressed RAW file size. Most of my jpg's run in the 6 - 11 megabyte range. Full RAW files run in the 30 - 40mb range, and the C-RAW (or compressed RAW) files run in the 20-23 mb range.

Are you doing some kind of batch transfer or batch conversion process?

Steve Thomas

Yes (I think so)! When I drag the RAW files to the folder on my external hard drive, I usually batch select 15-40 photos at once and then drag and drop into the external hard drive folder. Do you think that could be messing with it? I really appreciate you taking the time to give me pointers and help!!

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

ashleemassey,

You might want to look at this Forum thread:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Files-from-R10-come-in-as-JPG-and-Uni...

Steve Thomas

Thank you Steve!! I’m going to check the extension in the files. Also looks like it could be an issue of my MAC OS not be up to date (I haven’t updated since February of this year). I’ll get back to this post as soon as I find solution! Thank you so much!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

On my way home...have not read the entire thread yet.  This behavior is often the results if there is an application installed on the Mac that intercepts images on import and converts them to another file format.  (such as .jpg). Might there be an image processor or editor installed that is doing this?  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick! That could be! Once I plug my USB-C to SD reader into my laptop, I opened the photos app in my MacBook to import the photos. Maybe I need to use a different app to import them to? 

I use Lightroom classic on my laptop to edit the photos. I’m super new to this. So I don’t know if maybe I should be using Lightroom as a place to import them to? 

ashleemassey,

When you review the photos on your card while it's still in the camera, and before you import them to your computer, what size are the files? How many megabytes?

If you hit the Info button a couple of times, you should be able to  cycle through some screens that give you varying pieces of information. One of those will tell you the file size.

If they are different from what is showing up on your computer, then there is some kind of anomaly in the import process.

Maybe it's in the card reader? I think you can import directly from the camera to the Mac using a USB cable. 

Steve Thomas

Spoiler

Announcements